Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? APRIL 2020

[ Edited ]

Once I finish my "reading marathon" during this cold blast, I'll go on-line and put both those books on HOLD at the library. We are still able to pick-up books, but cannot go inside. It's a wonderful service during this virus, although they are not accepting any returns until May 1st. Thus, I have grocery bags of books to return!!

I do enjoy Lisa Garden's writing and will read both books you mentioned. Suggestions are always appreciated! Thanks @CANDLEQUEEN .

Currently reading the very long, but excellent book 11 22 63 by Stephen King. First Stephen King book in about 20 years and it's so different from his previous reads. Not a horror-type book. A time travel in time (back and forth), history, music, clothing, vehicles, verbage, and a love story! Didn't dream SK could write such a compassionate story. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

Such A Perfect Wife by Kate White (3.5 Stars)

Good journalist/mystery; easy read. Reminds me of grown-up Nancy Drew books for adults with the twists and turns . . . and lack of sex. Intend to read Kate White's previous seven books as summer reads. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Today I finished Fearless, the newest book (published this week) by Fern Michaels.  It was a good, quick read during this shelter at home.  It is a romance with a little mystery.  The main character is a widow with a young teenage daughter.  She meets a man who aappears much better than he turns out to be.  

Spoiler??

It bothered me that the main character, who seems so savvy completely missed the obvious signs of having been given the date rape drug.  She kept blaming herself and that just seemed so naive and sad.

Next up is Masked Prey, the new John Sandford book.

Super Contributor

After not completing a book in at least a month, I'm trying an audio of Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice.

Seraphina and the Splintered Heart by Robert Beatty.   This one is middle grade.  I've read the first three.and loved them.   Hopefully these will get me out of my major reading slump.

Esteemed Contributor

Snowblind by Ragnar Jonasson. The novel takes place in a small fishing village in Iceland. Close to the Arctic Circle, the village is only accessible through a narrow mountain pass. The main character, Ari Thor, is a police officer who has recently moved there and is considered an outsider. When a woman is stabbed, and an older man is killed by falling down steps (or was he murdered?) things taken an interesting turn in a town where usually not much happens. Ari has to find out what happened while a blizzard manages to isolate everyone, making roads impassable. 

This is a very good book. It was translated from Icelandic and is the author's debut novel. The descriptions are wonderful, characters are interesting, and one feels a kind of connection to Ari. Jonasson has written other novels with Ari Thor, which I plan reading. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

@teganslaw  That book sounds interesting - I like reading thrillers/mysteries that are written by foreigners.  I usually really get a sense of place.  But, your post reminded me of something I heard when I was in Reykjavik.  From Google "this island nation of just over 300,000 people has more writers, more books published and more books read, per head, than anywhere else in the world." 1 in 10 people are published authors.

Trusted Contributor

@sandy53 - I am reading MASKED PREY by John Sandford too.  I got it in an e-book that came in from my library.  So nice to have something new to read!  I've read half and it's very good so far.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Trace Of Evil by Alice Blanchard, this was really good, especially the ending leaving me stunned by everything!

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Such A Perfect Wife by Kate White (3.5 Stars)

Good journalist/mystery; easy read. Reminds me of grown-up Nancy Drew books for adults with the twists and turns . . . and lack of sex. Intend to read Kate White's previous seven books as summer reads. 

Well, you intrigued me with the grown-up Nancy Drew description, @BirkiLady  🙂  I'm adding this author to my ebook library list.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am reading THE CURIOUS CHARMS OF ARTHUR PEPPER.  

On tap is LONG RANGE by CJ Box and THE CHAIN by Adrian McKinty.  

I enjoyed EIGHT PERFECT MURDERS by Peter Swanson.   It's a fun book for  mystery book fans.