Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? APRIL 2020

Here's another coming in September by the author of Once We Were Brothers (so good)

Eli's Promise - by  Ronald H Balson (Hardcover) - image 1 of 1

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@LoriLori I just saw that Tell them Britt Marie Was Here is a movie. I didn't know that! Did you? 2019 movie. They did a pretty good job with "Ove" so I'm hoping this will be as well done.

Thanks, pal!!!  Hope all is well with you and EVERYONE'S EVERYONE...

I had no idea.  Just watched the trailer and while I LOVE the book and the character and that actress seems perfect -- the rat may be a dealbreaker but thanks, I will try it, I had no idea, you're a treasure and please keep doing you-know-what.

So far there have been sick ones but everyone has pulled through including cousin's wife working in the covid-19 unit at a NY hospital...she has had colleagues, a few doctors and nurses, sicken and die but so far so good...and at least ten people I know have had it, two of a friends' three kids, a cousin etc., all have pulled through...

...may all our loved ones and theirs do the same.  

And Jud, hope you and yours are well and please keep doing you-know-what.  💗😁

Honored Contributor

@SparklesMcGee 

What did you think of The Cottingly Secret?  Is Conan Doyle in it?  Akways have found it so hard to believe he believed in fairies and fake mediums and all.  

The book I'm still reading which I love but it's slow like most Japanese writing (and it feels like I'll never find out how it was done!) -- The Tokyo Zodiac Murders by Soji Shimada -- one of a genre, Japanese locked-room mysteries, has a long takedown of Sherlock Holmes by one of the two investigators.  Love Sherlock and also enjoyed the takedown, it's clever, and he's right Smiley Happy)  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@sunala   I’d love to have the whole Nancy Drew series to read again after almost sixty years. Just loved it.

@sunala Thanks for mentioning Nancy Drew books! Many good memories reading thos.

@proudlyfromNJ I have them and read them now and then. The oldest ones belonged to my aunt and when she was in her seventies she asked if she could "borrow" her books to read again! 😊 Mine are from the 60's and 70's but hers are mostly from the 40's. I have them all again and love to show them off/talk about them, and of course read them. It's also interesting to see how they changed between decades.

KJPA
Honored Contributor

@LoriLori  Hi! So glad you're well and I'll keep doing you know what. I'm afraid to go out-I send hubby, hahaha. He is type 0 blood and they say they have the most resistance. A has the least. Well, I'm AB so I wonder where I stand?

My Britt movie came yesterday-will let you know. Loved Ove (am I a poet?) and thought it was pretty true to the book. 

My GD brought the virus home from Chicago. My DD taped off her lower level bed and bath and she was in there for 14 days. They put her food outside her window. I can imagine how hard my DD worked doing all she did, but since she's off work she was home. Everyone survived. Thank you, God.

Hope you, your mum and family are doing well. Take good care. Let's see..........oh, yeah, wash your hands and stay home. (no word on how we are supposed to get our food, lol) 

Catch you, later.

Honored Contributor

@KJPA wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@sunala   I’d love to have the whole Nancy Drew series to read again after almost sixty years. Just loved it.

@sunala Thanks for mentioning Nancy Drew books! Many good memories reading thos.

@proudlyfromNJ I have them and read them now and then. The oldest ones belonged to my aunt and when she was in her seventies she asked if she could "borrow" her books to read again! 😊 Mine are from the 60's and 70's but hers are mostly from the 40's. I have them all again and love to show them off/talk about them, and of course read them. It's also interesting to see how they changed between decades.

I tried reading them again. Just couldn't do it. A time gone by. What fun it was at the time. 

Honored Contributor

@KJPA wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@KJPA  The ones in the 40's are the ones I used to borrow from my neighbor. I wondered what had happened to them when she passed away. It's so nice that you have all those series.

Trusted Contributor

I find myself gravitating to lighter fare for the most part during this time.

I read The Accidental Beauty Queen by Teri Wilson, a very easy and quick read of identical twins changing places when one has an allergic reaction and can't continue in a pageant. Sort of reminiscent of the Sandra Bullock movie that I just can't remember the name of this minute.

Then I traveled to England to visit my old friend Flavia in The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches by Alan Bradley. Flavia always brings me smiles. I think if she and I had been 11 at the same time we would have been friends. I wonder how she will do in the next episode when she is sent off to boarding school. In this last book, we got more hints about her background and the backgrounds of some of the people around her. It makes me wonder where Mr. Bradley is heading with all of this. I think I am about halfway through the series.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Today I finished Sunrise on Half Moon Bay, the new book by Robyn Carr.  She is one of my favorite authors for contemporary romance.  

This is a very good book and I recommend it!  The plot involves two sisters, who are very different, thrown together by relationship changes and challenges.  I thought the main characters were believable, pretty smart, and interenting.  There was mature romance that was not X-rated.

I hope this is the beginning of a new series from this author.  She had done several very good series in the past.  

Esteemed Contributor

The American Agent by Jacqueline Winspear (4.5 Stars) 

Money screams; wealth whispers.