Trusted Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? APRIL 2020

I just finished reading last night the book "After You" by Jojo Moyes.

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Valued Contributor

Vol 2 of Virgina Wolf's letter I had from the library. Also reading a series I have had stashed away... Charlotte Mcleod's Sarah Kelling and Max Bittersohn mystery's. I have also finished reading for the upteenth time the Rex Stout Nero Wolfe mysterys dn my Miss Read series. I am fast running out of material and can't really spend money to buy books. My libary is supposed to start doing curb side pick up on the 24the and I CAN'T WAIT!

Respected Contributor

Recent reads:

The Wives by Tarryn Fisher.  It's a best seller; IMO good, not worthy of best-seller status.

Many Rivers to Cross by Peter Robinson.  This is his latest in the Alan Banks series.  It can be read as a "standalone."  As usual, outstanding writing and I enjoy following the personal life of the main character.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey.  An older book.  I remember seeing the movie but I never read the book.  It's a "wow."

Hunting Shadows by Charles Todd.  Set in England after WW I.  An interesting detective/police story because the crimes are solved by old-fashioned methods.  No technology back in the early 20th centtury!

Respected Contributor

Just read one of my favorite books from 2020. The Antidote For Everything by Kimmery Martin.  I don't dole out 5 stars on GR that often (in fact the last one was last year).  One of my pet peeves is that a lot of reviewers give out 5 stars on every book.  Not every book can be 5 stars in my opinion.  They have to be fantastic and not just very good. 

Onto Diane Chamberlain's Big Lies In A Small Town.  I've enjoyed her ones that I've read so far.  It's been a while though.

Valued Contributor

I finished The Wicked Redhead by Beatriz Williams.The book was not up to the standards of her previous works.

This afternoon I will begin Sin Eater by Megan Campisi.

EXCERPT FROM AMAZON SUMMARY:

For the crime of stealing bread, fourteen-year-old May receives a life sentence: she must become a Sin Eater—a shunned woman, brutally marked, whose fate is to hear the final confessions of the dying, eat ritual foods symbolizing their sins as a funeral rite, and thereby shoulder their transgressions to grant their souls access to heaven.

Orphaned and friendless, apprenticed to an older Sin Eater who cannot speak to her, May must make her way in a dangerous and cruel world she barely understands.

Valued Contributor

@skyblue wrote:

@pateacher wrote:

I am reading The Wicked Redhead by Beatriz Williams. I am having a little bit of trouble getting into the book, but concentration hasn't been my strong suit lately.

@pateacher  I am a fan of Beatriz Williams' earlier books, but I haven't been hooked by her more recent offerings.📚🤷‍♀️

@skyblue  I totally agree.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished Olive Again by Elizabeth Strout, this book was a very deep book, and really made me reflect over my life especially since my stroke, kind of how Olive did with her age,  I have noticed since my stroke people tend to avoid me, almost like I am contagious, it is easier to forget about me, than think that no one is immune to health obstacles, it does not pick and choose any age group or ethnic population, but that does not mean we are invisible and should be put out to pasture!  This book took me a little longer to read as I mentioned it really made be reflect across my life from childhood to my current life, at the beginning I was not sure I really liked it,  but then I changed my mindset, and took so ,much away from this book!

Respected Contributor

Yesterday I finished Islands by Anne Rivers Siddons.  It was great with a very shocking twist at the end.  It's the first book I've read of hers and I plan to read more.  

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I recently read Masked Prey by John Sandford.  This is the newly published 30th book of the Lucas Davenport series. The plot centers around finding a lone wolf right-wing shooter to prevent the children of US Senators from being shot.  The setting is the Washington DC area.  

I would say this book is good, but not great.  The pace of the action finally picked up about halfway through, but let up again.  The book is just over 400 pages and I think it would have been better if shortened to about 350.  It just seemed to lag by including lots of detail that didn't matter to me.

Honored Contributor

By the author of The Paris Architect (loved it). This was emailed to me today: releases Nov. 3rd