Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? APRIL 2020

@Judaline wrote:

@Travone  As I read your review, I kept thinking, how awful, then omgosh, then good grief! Then when you said you "enjoyed" it I couldn't believe it. lol, no offense, I don't mean that, I just mean how did you ever continue to read it? 

It is a heavy topic but it isn't written that way.  The author is not lamenting her woes.  In fact she is accepting them.  I think that made it easier to read.  My best friend's mother suffered from the disease when I was growing up, that may have made my interest more than that of the average person.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Stuck at home, and I've finished all my library books.  Luckily, I did have a new ebook come through from the library:  "THE K TEAM" by David Rosenfelt.  It is very helpful to have read the previous book which introduces the main character, "DACHSHUND THROUGH THE SNOW."  I always enjoy the David Rosenfelt books, and I think I'll re-read the series.  The first book was published in 2002, so it's been quite a while since I read the earliest books.  If you haven't read his books, they are humorous legal procedurals, with a dog lover twist.

Valued Contributor

My neighbor left some books on my front porch for me.  She loves Janet Evanovich so she brought 5 of her books.  I'm on my second one and I'm really enjoying them.  I read Nine and now Ten Big Ones.  A few weeks ago I read a John Sutherland book, can't remember the first word in the title, second word was Prey.  About a group of gypsy like young people with a Charles Manson like leader.  It was really good!  I already gave the book back to the owner otherwise I would just look at the book!

Respected Contributor

I'm working from home, so I only gained 40 minutes of commute time, which I used to listen to audiobooks, so it was already my designated reading time. Smiley Happy

I'm currently listening to Hillbilly Elegy on Scribd. (They're giving everyone a one-month free trial, no credit card needed.)

I'm reading The Bermondsey Poisoner, by Emily Organ. This is available as a Kindle Unlimited book and is number 6 in the Penny Green series. Penny is a London newspaper reporter in Victorian England. The mysteries are good and each book ends with Emily Organ's historical notes about things mentioned in the book.

Valued Contributor

Sorry everyone, it was John Sandford not John Sutherland!

Honored Contributor

I've downloaded a bunch of books to my two Kindles.   Some that I'm alternating reading - depending on time of day and my mood.  Wide variety of genres. 

Some of them you can just sit and read .... others you have to read/ponder, read some more/ponder some more

I have lots of time to read these days:  Smiley Wink 

• The Bar Harbor Retirement Home for Famous Writers (and Their Muses)
  • CliffsNotes on Aristotle's Ethics
  • On the Edge of Infinity: A Biography of Michael O'Brien
  • Father Elijah:  An Apocalypse (by Michael O'Brien)
  • Four Last Things Death, Judgment, Hell Heaven (Martin von Cochem)
  • The Man Who Was Thursday:  A Nightmare (Chesterton)
  • The Dream of Gerontius (poem by Cardinal Newman)
  • In Sinu Jesu:  When Hart Speaks to Heart
  • The Gift of Correspondence in Classical Rome
  • The Secret of Spring

Lots of others (and lots of samples of other books) downloaded.  

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh my goodness Alison Wonderland!  When I started reading your post I thought it said, I've gained 40 lbs not 40 minutes. Smiley LOL Blame it on the Facebook posts  with the before and afters of the stay-at-home orders with people gaining weight!

Contributor

I'm currently reading This Much I Know is True by Wally Lamb in preparation for the mini series starring Mark Ruffalo.  It's his voice I hear as the title character as I'm reading it.

Super Contributor

Good book!!
Valued Contributor

Ok, for all of you John Stanford lovers, the book I couldn't put down was "Gathering Prey".