Esteemed Contributor

WHAT ARE YOU READING? APRIL 2020

Happy APRIL to all our readers. Because of the virus pandemic, if you are socially distancing and staying home as is advised, you've got plenty of time to read and explore new books you've been meaning to read. I have a friend who is rereading her entire collection of Nancy Drew books.

Please share what you're currently reading, what you liked and what you didn't, and share them with us so we can enjoy them too.

Sending prayers to everyone here for good health. Take good care of yourselves and read a lot of wonderful books.

Happy Reading and a happy and HEALTHY month to all.

Hugs, Sunny

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? APRIL 2020

@sunala   I’d love to have the whole Nancy Drew series to read again after almost sixty years. Just loved it.

Contributor

The Jetsetters by Amanda Eyre Ward.  Light read in crazy time. Woman takes adult children on cruise she won. 

Respected Contributor

@mrssims wrote:

The Jetsetters by Amanda Eyre Ward.  Light read in crazy time. Woman takes adult children on cruise she won. 

@mrssims 

I thought that was just an ok book. If you want a better one to read with sort of the same plot, Elyssa Friedland's The Floating Feldmans is my choice.   Just a suggestion.

Esteemed Contributor

@sunala , happy April to you!

I just Finished House of Salt and Sorrows (Craig).  It is a bit like a ghost story, gothic, surreal.  Goodreads rates it 3.96.  It was different and kept my interest to the end.

I just downloaded The Silent Patient from my library.  LM

Honored Contributor

I have a couple of books set aside, if I get tired of the other 2 hobbies I have going on.  But, for our book sales at the Library for the rest of the year, I intend to get a supply of paperbacks of authors I know and some I don't in case we are house-bound again.  If we get stuck in the house for bad weather, the same applies.  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I just finished Shadows on the Porch by Beverly DeAngelis.  This is a memoir.  I want to warn you she is not a professional writer, more like a blogger.  Some things are a bit disjointed but it is easy enough to follow. 

Shadows on the Porch opens with a searing inside look into the unpredictable disruptions of growing up with a schizophrenic parent, builds to the heartbreak of institutionalizing a schizophrenic child, and closes with the reconnection with a distant father. There are calm, normal periods, unpredictable explosions, abrupt trips to the hospital, frequent and jarring moves, shame dealing with neighbors, and shifting periods of despair. This incredible story also includes her grandparents' immigration to Ohio, decades of hard work, murder, suicide, family disruption, and Beverly's first marriage to an abusive alcoholic. As she relates one gut-wrenching event after another, how Beverly finds a way to survive is often what seems most amazing.

I am recommending this book.  I did enjoy reading.  You will not agree with everything she did in her life.....in fact many times while reading the book I said aloud "What a dumb a$$", but it was good.  Despite its' subject matter the book does not get too clinical to understand.  Beverly is just a normal woman and it is written by her about her vantage point and experiences.

Currently I am reading Maude by Donna Mabry.  So far I am enjoying it.  I picked it up based on recommendations from this board.

Happy Reading.

Esteemed Contributor

@sunala  I am currently reading "Killing Reagan".  Part of the "Killing series by Bill O'Reilly.   I'm on my 4th one, they are extremely well written.  My favorite was "Killing Lincoln"..........I actually felt like I was in the balcony with him, intense writing, goose bumps!

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Before I Let You in by Jenny Blackhurst what a book! So much going on in this book, up until the last page I was in the dark, and the ending was epic!

Honored Contributor

@Travone  As I read your review, I kept thinking, how awful, then omgosh, then good grief! Then when you said you "enjoyed" it I couldn't believe it. lol, no offense, I don't mean that, I just mean how did you ever continue to read it?