Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? ~APRIL 2018~

I just finished Trespassing, my Amazon Prime First Reads selection for March.  I really liked the book, although there were a few things that bugged me about how the police treated her, meaning the over-reaction to her husband being missing, and some other minor things.  I'd would definitely read more by this author, Brandi Reeds.

Right now I'm reading my April selection, When Never Comes, by Barbara Davis.  I'm at about 12% done and so far I'm liking it a lot.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@smoky22 wrote:

@LoriLori  I absolutely hated that book.  It did remind me a little of Spoon River Anthology, which I consider a masterpiece next to this unoriginal, pretentious drivel.  I felt like he was using Lincoln's grief rather than portraying any real sympathy.  I guess I'm not highbrow enough for it. Rant over.  Hope you like it.  The critics sure did.

@smoky22, in my emails this morning was a recommendation from Amazon, you know, "based on what your'e reading" or whatever - "Spoon River Anthology."   What that did what was remind me:  Smoky said I should read it so I should read it.  So it's going on my TBR list because of you, not Amazon's algorithm Smiley Happy

BTW I am loving "Lincoln in the Bardo" but it's enormously challenging and mentally exhausting.  I can't recommend it to anyone, won't even give it to the person I promised it to, I think it will depress him terribly.  

ETA:   Put it in my TBR (shockingly, it's only $4 new) but because of the subject matter and what I'm reading I think I'll need to put plenty of distance between this one and that Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

I loved the Eleanor Oliphant book. Not for everyone, but for me, I loved it.

You loved it, I just pre-ordered the paperback.  Stepping away from this thread before I spend more money LOL.

Trusted Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

You loved it, I just pre-ordered the paperback.  Stepping away from this thread before I spend more money LOL.

@LoriLori - the Eleanor Oliphant book was really good.  If Sunala and Judaline recommend it, chances are it will be a winner!

I just finished the new Martha Grimes book in her Richard Jury series, called "THE KNOWLEDGE."  Next is "WEDDING CAKE CRUMBLE", the latest in Jenn McKinlay's Cupcake Bakery cozy mystery series. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dawg lover wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@LoriLori - the Eleanor Oliphant book was really good.  If Sunala and Judaline recommend it, chances are it will be a winner!

I just finished the new Martha Grimes book in her Richard Jury series, called "THE KNOWLEDGE."  Next is "WEDDING CAKE CRUMBLE", the latest in Jenn McKinlay's Cupcake Bakery cozy mystery series. 

And if @Judaline and @sunala and @smoky22 and @dawg lover recommend it the chances go up even more!  

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori  I'm happy that you love Lincoln in the Bardo and find it worthwhile reading.  I am among the 20% of simpletons who gave it one star on amazon.  You are among the 44% who gave it 5 stars.  You win! (haha).  You're right about the challenging part.  I think it was too much work for me.    

Honored Contributor

@smoky22 Heart   That heart is because I cannot heart a post in which you refer to yourself as a "simpleton"...it is a very strange and disturbing book so maybe I'm strange and disturbed LOL.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished The Man from the Train by Bill James. It's not for everyone. The author feels he has solved the mystery of multiple axe murders throughout the country in the early to mid 1900's. It held my interest. These were murders of entire families across the country with no apparent motive. If you're a true crime reader you'll like this. Good writing.

Now I'm starting The Count of Monte Cristo. I guess I'll see you next year.😉

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@dawg lover wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

And if @Judaline and @sunala and @smoky22 and @dawg lover recommend it the chances go up even more!  

Regarding Eleanor Oliphant, I think I'm a sucker for misfits.  Even though the stories are vastly different, the character reminds me a little of A Man Called Ove, and Britt-Marie, and also Perry Crandall in Lottery (Patricia Wood).  I know @sunala has recommended this book highly and so do I.  Lottery is a wonderful book.  For anyone who likes all those others, you'll like this one, too, I promise.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished reading Phantom Evil by Heather Graham . It was not bad, held my interest but was not a page turner if that makes any sense.

Tomorrow I will start Silent prey by John Sanford.