Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? ~APRIL 2018~

I finished Winter Prey by John Sanford, and have started Heart of Evil by Heather Graham.  

I have a busy weekend so I will not get in a lot of reading. (sigh)

Respected Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

@CareBears wrote:

Last night I finished The  Bad Daughter by Joy Fielding overall it was a good book, I had an inkling on who did it, but I was not positive, but in the end I was right, it kept my interest throughout, and the character were well developed.  Next up Friend Request by Laura Marshall, I know it was mentioned here several months ago, and I am sorry I do not remember who, will post by final review when I finish, I just read a couple of reviews and it sounds like I am in for a good read!

@CareBears, I believe it was me regarding FRIEND REQUEST.  I know I read it, I think, lol.  Just got done reading another “head scratcher” since the days of BEHIND HER EYES.  It is out 5/1/18 & the movie rights have already been sold.  Please any of you who read this book when it comes out, let me know.  I got a couple of spoiler questions.  TIA!  

@CareBears, how embarrassing for me to post & not list the title author I was referring to...!  That’s what I get for working a 13 hr day.  The book is THE PERFECT MOTHER by AIMEE MOLLEY.  

Esteemed Contributor

I finished listening to After Anna by Lisa Scottoline.

Beautiful and an heiress, 17 year old Anna is reacquainted with her estranged mother, Maggie, and her new husband, Noah. Things soon start to go disastrously wrong.

I enjoyed the book; can’t say I liked the ending, but I didn’t see it coming either.

Structurally, the book’s chapters switch between Maggie and Noah.  Maggie’s chapters move forward, whereas Noah’s go backwards (more or less).  They eventually meet at a plot point and then the rest of the book moves forward in a linear fashion, from when Noah’s story first started.  I know many don’t like this kind of back and forth structure (with even more flashbacks!). I think it may have been easier for me as I was listening vs reading as the narrators changed accordingly.

There were a few items that really bothered me - in fact, I even had to research a few things to make sure I wasn’t crazy (including looking up how old the author was as I was certain she must be a millennial- she’s far from that!) Does anyone else get annoyed and distracted when there are minor factual errors in a book?  Will comment more in a spoiler.

Spoiler
This has nothing to do with the story, but made me go hmmmm.  And maybe I’m the one that’s wrong!!  Maybe I didn’t even hear correctly.

So, Anna’s father made his money from developing and selling an app design.  About 16 years ago.  The iPhone is 10 years old. Were apps a thing 16 years ago?

in addition, Maggie comments on taking baby Anna to a gender reveal party.  Again, 16-17 years ago.  According to google, nobody even searched this term before June 2010, becoming more popular in the last 5 years.

Super minor things, but just seemed sloppy (again, maybe it was just my listening that was sloppy, but I don’t think so.  I guess the author is making sure her novel will not be so out of date in 10-15 years! LOL

Respected Contributor

I am reading Madam President and A Higher Loyalty. Both very interesting and very readable. Back  to suspense and mystery after this foray into political writing.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

I read The Jane Austen Project by Kathleen A. Flynn.  It's about two time travelers who go back to 1815 to try to recover a suspected unpublished novel by Jane Austen.  I love time travel books, and the first half of the book was pretty interesting as the two try to fit into a society they are not used to.  But after the halfway point, the story turned into a  basic romance (not a fan) and I didn't care for the ending.  It's very highly rated on Amazon.  

Respected Contributor

I'm still reading The Grave's a Fine and Private Place (about 40% in) and it's utterly delightful.  The real Flavia de Luce is back!  I'm trying not to read it too fast.  

I'm also reading The Mitford Murders, based on a real unsolved crime, and written by Jessica Fellowes, author of the Downton Abbey companion books.  I'm enjoying it very much so far. 

Regular Contributor

Well, I finished One Second After and it totally scared me! I have started stockpiling water -- 

...and I cried, like ugly cried, twice.

Esteemed Contributor

I finished Friend Request especially toward the end kept my interest throughout!

Next up Secrets of Summer by Nancy Thayer

Esteemed Contributor

OOPS I was going to start Secrets in Summer by Nancy Thayer, but after reading a couple of pages, I realize that I have already read this one, I remember enjoying it. Will have to take a look at the other books waiting here.

Trusted Contributor

Finished The Wife Between Us by Sarah Pekkanen and Greer Hendricks. 

Rereading Sue Grafton's Kinsey Milhone series.