Respected Contributor

Re: WELCOME READERS, IT'S OCTOBER 2020 ALREADY!!

[ Edited ]

Just finished The Lost Shtetl by Max Gross.  I wasn't sure if I wanted to finish this book about a town in Poland that noone ever heard of and the people of this town didn't know anything of modern living nor the Holocaust or Wars.  You have to read the description of this book to get a better grip of things. I almost didn't want to read 400 pages of this unusual book but glad I did.

Onto Here We Are (memoir) by Aarti Shahani about an Indian family in Queens.

Valued Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

@Mellyg wrote:

I just finished Troubles in Paradise by Elin Hilderbrand.   I loved the first one, the second went downhill and the final book of the trilogy was awful.  I was warned that it wasn't satisfying, yet I still had to see how it ended.

The writing was horrible. Between the overuse of parentheses, the abundance of exclamation points, and the name dropping, I don't know how I finished. I really wanted to love it, so it was a disappointment!

That was the most inane book ever. It's almost like somebody else wrote it. I couldn't even finish it b

It was a mess! You didn't miss anything by not finishing it. Oh, wait, you may have missed exact tedious dinner orders at restaurants or details on what someone picked up at an exact grocery store 🙄 It's funny that you said it was like someone else wrote it, I thought the same thing. 

Honored Contributor

@Mellyg wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

@Mellyg wrote:

I just finished Troubles in Paradise by Elin Hilderbrand.   I loved the first one, the second went downhill and the final book of the trilogy was awful.  I was warned that it wasn't satisfying, yet I still had to see how it ended.

The writing was horrible. Between the overuse of parentheses, the abundance of exclamation points, and the name dropping, I don't know how I finished. I really wanted to love it, so it was a disappointment!

That was the most inane book ever. It's almost like somebody else wrote it. I couldn't even finish it b

It was a mess! You didn't miss anything by not finishing it. Oh, wait, you may have missed exact tedious dinner orders at restaurants or details on what someone picked up at an exact grocery store 🙄 It's funny that you said it was like someone else wrote it, I thought the same thing. 

Lol! I'm dying laughing here. She's usually so good so I had to double check it was her name on the book!

Respected Contributor

The Forgotten Room by Lincoln Child is my latest read.  Some readers were interested in books in the Halloween genre; this could fit in that category.  Now, that being said, be aware that there is some detail in scientific jargon.  I tried to keep it straight, but it was sometimes a challenge.  Overall a good read though.

Esteemed Contributor

I have just finished The Witness by Nora Roberts, the book was recommended by someone on this thread and I really did enjoy, fast pace and a interesting stand alone book.

I had tried two other books before this and both of them I could not get more than 75 pages in, before returning to the library. I attempted to read On Target by Mark Greaney. I had read an earlier book by this author, but I just can't keep up with the non stop pace of people constantly trying to kill this man. It's just exhausting.

The second one that I tried to get through was  The hanging Valley by Peter Robinson. I am not sure if it was because the book took place in England, and I just could not connect to the characters or the places, it was just boring,  I hit the 75 page mark on this one as well and closed it. 

Normally my cut off zone is 50 pages. If I am not enjoying a book, back to the library it goes.  I am going to stick to that rule in the future. 

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

@Mellyg wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

@Mellyg wrote:

Lol! I'm dying laughing here. She's usually so good so I had to double check it was her name on the book!

I did make myself finish thinking surely it would get better.  It did not.  All I could think about was maybe she wrote less of this one out lying on the beach.  Elin posts many photos of herself on the beach writing her books.  Who knows but this one is just a big ole thumbs down.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone for warning me off of this book, I canceled my hold on it at the library!

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished Mr, Nobody by Catherine Steadman. this was truly a psychological thriller, and so much happening at the end of the story, again I could not read fast enough!  The story starts out when a man is found soaking wet, walking down a beach with no memory of his name, or where he lives, and this is where the story takes the reader into a twist of events that you will never see coming!

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

Just finished Mr, Nobody by Catherine Steadman. this was truly a psychological thriller, and so much happening at the end of the story, again I could not read fast enough!  The story starts out when a man is found soaking wet, walking down a beach with no memory of his name, or where he lives, and this is where the story takes the reader into a twist of events that you will never see coming!

Just put my hold in for the above.  I know your style is my style @CareBears 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Today I finished The Dressmaker's Gift by Fiona Valpy.  This book has two story lines; one is historic (Paris during World War 2) and one is contemporary (Paris now).  In the contemporary story, a young woman moves to Paris to work in the fashion industry and learn more about her grandmother who worked in the same building during World War 2.  I liked the historic story better than the other.  The main character in the contemporary story had some serious psychological problems that made it hard for me to relate to her.  The historic story involved young women working for the Resistance movement and they were amazingly brave risk-takers.  The ending was quite satisfactory. 

I really didn't like the editing of this book on my kindle.  I don't like using apostrophes for quotation marks and I don't like using European spelling in a book published in the US.  The writing itself was very good in some places and seemed very amateurish in other parts.  So I recommend this book with major reservations.  I don't plan to read other books by this author.