Esteemed Contributor

Re: WELCOME READERS, IT'S OCTOBER 2020 ALREADY!!

I just finished Cottage on Gooseberry Bay:  Thanksgiving Past by Kathi Daley.  This is book one of a new series.

Ainsley Holloway arrives in Gooseberry Bay to find answers about her life as a young child when we was taken in by a police officer who found her in a burning building.  She had been having dreams and was trying to find out where she came from.  Additionally, in Gooseberry Bay, a family went missing on Thanksgiving Day and the local reporter had been doing research to find them and some answers.  

This was a cute mystery, not my favorite, but light reading.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

finished The Numbers Game by Dannelle Steel. for me this book was mostly depressing, not to give the story away but such sadness, until the last few chapters when the book shifted gears, and a happy ever after finished out the book, overall I enjoyed this book!

Respected Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

finished The Numbers Game by Dannelle Steel. for me this book was mostly depressing, not to give the story away but such sadness, until the last few chapters when the book shifted gears, and a happy ever after finished out the book, overall I enjoyed this book!

@CareBears 

I don't recall (of course I've read so many of hers) that are depressing.  Have you read Royal or The Wedding Dress yet?  I loved them. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished A Village Murder by Frances Evesham.  The setting is the English village of Lower Hembrow, where Imogen Bishop has returned to bury her father, with the services held at his hotel.  After the service, her estranged husband's body is found on the grounds.  Retired police officer Adam Hennessey, now the owner of a country pub across the street from the hotel, gets involved in the investigations.   I enjoyed this book and look forward to more from this author.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

I really enjoyed MAD AT THE WORLD,by William Souder. It was about the life of John Steinbeck,who is my favorite author. It was extremely well written. It seems to me that most of the great authors of our time suffered from mental health problems. Well worth the price,a good read.

Valued Contributor

I just finished Troubles in Paradise by Elin Hilderbrand.   I loved the first one, the second went downhill and the final book of the trilogy was awful.  I was warned that it wasn't satisfying, yet I still had to see how it ended.

The writing was horrible. Between the overuse of parentheses, the abundance of exclamation points, and the name dropping, I don't know how I finished. I really wanted to love it, so it was a disappointment!

Honored Contributor

@Mellyg wrote:

I just finished Troubles in Paradise by Elin Hilderbrand.   I loved the first one, the second went downhill and the final book of the trilogy was awful.  I was warned that it wasn't satisfying, yet I still had to see how it ended.

The writing was horrible. Between the overuse of parentheses, the abundance of exclamation points, and the name dropping, I don't know how I finished. I really wanted to love it, so it was a disappointment!

That was the most inane book ever. It's almost like somebody else wrote it. I couldn't even finish it b

Esteemed Contributor

John Steinbeck is one of my favorite authors, so I'll keep William Souder's book in mind. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

First for the good. I read Fireflies in December by Jennifer Valent. I enjoyed reading it. It's the first book of a series of 4 books. I look forward to reading the others that follow.

I pulled the bookmark on The Good Marriage by Kimberly McCreight. What a mishmash of confusing and annoying characters. It didn't take me long to pull the bookmark.

I don't know what I'm going to try to read next. Wish me luck!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

@sunala wrote:

First for the good. I read Fireflies in December by Jennifer Valent. I enjoyed reading it. It's the first book of a series of 4 books. I look forward to reading the others that follow.

I pulled the bookmark on The Good Marriage by Kimberly McCreight. What a mishmash of confusing and annoying characters. It didn't take me long to pull the bookmark.

I don't know what I'm going to try to read next. Wish me luck!

@sunala 

I wasn't impressed with A Good Marriage by Kimberly McCreight and thought her first one was much better.  Didn't read her second one since I have no desire to read it.