Honored Contributor

Re: WELCOME READERS, IT'S OCTOBER 2020 ALREADY!!

[ Edited ]

Finished LOOK FOR ME, by Lisa Gardner, very good book!

I am now reading THE MOTHERS, by Brit Bennett......Tomorrow is my turn to host our Book Club Meeting and this is the book I am recommending we all read!

Trusted Contributor

Today I finished Trouble in Paradise by Elin Hilderbrand.  This is the third book in a trilogy.  I do not recommend this book.  It is by far less satisfying than the first two books.  Even if it tied up the main parts of the story, it still left me wondering about loose ends.  At the end of the book she introduced new characters that were unnecessary and added nothing to the story. 

Valued Contributor

@sandy53 Thank you for your input on "Always the Last to Know". I've had it sitting n my nightstand since it came out and haven't picked it up yet. I was under the impression it had a different tone than her past books, and feel like I'm needing something light right now! 

Honored Contributor

@sunala  I'm reading a book I think you might like. Eli's Promise by Ronald Balson. I'm barely into it but it starts out with a bang. It starts out with the ending, kinda. It's about a  Polish Jewish family and the time the Nazis invaded Poland and literally took over this city. I love the characters (haven't met any of the Nazis yet! And I'm NOT in a hurry for that). Anyway, look it up and decide for yourself. Just a thought.

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@sunala  I'm reading a book I think you might like. Eli's Promise by Ronald Balson. I'm barely into it but it starts out with a bang. It starts out with the ending, kinda. It's about a  Polish Jewish family and the time the Nazis invaded Poland and literally took over this city. I love the characters (haven't met any of the Nazis yet! And I'm NOT in a hurry for that). Anyway, look it up and decide for yourself. Just a thought.

@Judaline-  OMG I'm loving this book. It was on my wait list at the library and it finally came in. I'm maybe 3/4 done with it and I can't stop reading. I was up last night reading until my eyes closed. I read again this morning as long as I could, but I had to stop as I have some plans for today. I hope I'll get to it tonight and ravish it until I'm done. He's an excellent author. I read Once We Were Brothers a while back and it became one of my favorite books of all time.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

I just couldn't finish was All Girls by Emily Layden.  I wish I would have read the category on Amazon or GR when I entered since it was Young Adult.  I've read some YA books which I've enjoyed but this one was slow going set in an all-girls boarding school and the problem it is having with a previous rape situation.  There were too many girls to keep track of for me and it sort of bogged it down.

Onto Jamie Beck's Truth of The Matter.  I need something light for a change and her first book was good.

Honored Contributor

@sunala, all Balson's books are wonderful. The others are all about the man and wife lawyer team which gets a person from WWll days asking for their help, thus we go back. 

Esteemed Contributor

"Someone We Know" by Shari Lapena. It's a suspense novel where people are not who they seem, and keep secrets from frienda and family. Very good. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

Yesterday I finished The Guest List by Lucy Foley.  On a remote island off the coast of Ireland guests gather to celebrate the wedding of Jules Keegan and Will Slater.  Everyone on the island has a secret.  Everyone has a motive.  And someone won't leave this wedding alive.  This book was very suspenseful and many dark secrets are revealed as the story goes on.  I enjoyed it and would recommend it.  

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished A Wedding and a Funeral in Mecklenburg:  A German Travel Mystery (The Homeswappers Book 2) by Adriana Licio.  In this book, Dora, Etta,and now Leon have traveled to Mecklenburg to attend a wedding because they will be hosting the family's son during the summer as part of the homeswapping club which they are members.  This will be their first time meeting the family, and they have been invited them to stay in one of the cottages on the grounds in order for them to get to know the young man.  The wedding is supposed to just be a bonus to the visit.  Unfortunately, events keep the wedding from occurring.

This is a very nice mystery series, in the cozy genre, but one of the best parts of the series is the descriptions of the towns that they visit, with actual places that still exist in these historic towns.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!