Honored Contributor

Re: Valerie Bertinelli - Enough Already

@beckyb1012 .............I had to go back and look why I posted that myself.  I must have thought by your last sentence in your first post you were not aware he had passed.  Just ignore my post.  Sorry.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl 

I currently found Valerie's cooking show and I really love it so this is what made me read this topic.  I I have not read her book yet so I can't comment on it.  But I enjoyed your comments.  I get the feeling that even though Valerie did re-marry after Eddie that he really was the love of her life.  I find Valerie very likable and I can identify with her regarding her weight issues and probably her struggles with her body issues.  She has been in the public eye since she was very young, so I would imagine that she has been criticized a lot of the years for the way she looked and looks.  From what I have read in the past, her weight has been a constant struggle for her.  She has been really thin at various times in the past, but this doesn't seem a natural state for her.  I think it is hard for a lot of us to identify with her or have empathy with her when she states her struggles because we think -- oh, she is so successful financially and she can have anything she wants, go any place she wants, etc. - but inside, if you are insecure, I believe this can happen no matter how successful you are.  On her cooking show, she does not appear to be pencil thin, she is heavier than she used to be, but she is not obese.  Would she like to be thinner?  I'm sure she would like to be, as many of us would.  I hope that she has learned to accept herself as she is and realize that she is a beautiful woman and her worth is not based on the size of her jeans!  I was always very thin and was praised for my body and my looks.  Now that I'm nearing 70, I battle my weight all the time, and my looks are not what they were.  It is hard at times because these things you just took for granted and were part of you, are no longer there.  We move on and try to accept but it's not always easy.  I can't imagine doing this in the public eye. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 They repeat her cooking shows, so you really can't tell what she is currently.  Sometimes she's heavy, other times not that heavy.  I think her weight will  go up and down pretty much the rest of her life.  It's much harder for  short person.  As tall people can carry a heavier weight.  So I don't think it'll bother her that much.  If anyone is obese, it's her son.  He's not that tall either.  Around 5'10".  But he's still young.  

Honored Contributor

Valerie does have some recent photos and videos on her instagram that shows her but who could really say if they are this week or three years ago. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Valerie and Tom are divorcing?   I thought they always looked so happy.  Huh.

Super Contributor

She was on the 3rd hour of Today Show Thursday. This women is clearly in need of serious grief counseling. She says that talking publicly and hearing from fans makes her realize she's not alone. She appears to need a lot of positive public feedback; and has extremely low self esteem. With all the blessings in her life that the average person doesn't have, it's hard to have sympathy. She clearly can afford therapy. It seems she likes the publicity and drama, and playing the victim.
Respected Contributor

Co dependent, enabler, dysfunction; would sum up the reason for her low self esteem. From some of the comments about her story...it's pretty obvious.

I am glad she dumped the 2nd husband. He seemed creepy and she seemed enthralled with that loser.

Hopefully writing the book is cathartic for Valerie.

I wish her well she seems like a nice person. 

Trusted Contributor

Some have theorized that she's really still in love with Ed. Her last husband is now asking for spousal support! And he's a financial planner! Gross.

Respected Contributor

Spousal support? Thought I read that it was alleged that he abused her. As far as her public displayed grief for father of her child, have wondered if that has been somewhat put on to bring more attention to their son and help promote his music.
Respected Contributor

@Justshop wrote:
She was on the 3rd hour of Today Show Thursday. This women is clearly in need of serious grief counseling. She says that talking publicly and hearing from fans makes her realize she's not alone. She appears to need a lot of positive public feedback; and has extremely low self esteem. With all the blessings in her life that the average person doesn't have, it's hard to have sympathy. She clearly can afford therapy. It seems she likes the publicity and drama, and playing the victim.

I also watched Valerie on that segment of the Today Show, and agree with what you stated, @Justshop