Honored Contributor

Re: Valerie Bertinelli - Enough Already

Just my opinion, but in her heart, she may see herself as the widow.  For some people I believe there's only one really truly love.  Eddie may be this one for her.  While many do not understand this, I think some do.  Like I said, just my opinion.

Respected Contributor

I have no desire to read it.

Respected Contributor

@Citrine1 I was totally surprised when vb split from her hubby tom.i thought he was a great guy.on her cooking shows,she always seemed so upbeat.

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe Tom got tired of hearing how much she loved Eddie and was acting like the grieving widow. 

Honored Contributor

Valerie's husband had a history of being an abusive husband. Don't know if anything happened with her, but you never know.

Respected Contributor

Interesting about husband Tom having a history of abusive husband. Although nothing to do with being a husband, he is a certified financial planner, probably high profile clients based on where they lived, so in my mind would cause issues with his professional business. I do want to read/listen to the book, not because of her first husband but because of her struggles with self esteem and weight issues. I like that she loves her pets and regularly posts about them on IG.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If it is true he has a history of abuse you can bet it had everything to do with the breakup. Maybe when Eddie died she had an epiphany, and decided to get out. Tom married her when she lost all of the weight, and probably reminded her when she put on a pound. 

She posted a video of how mean comments hurt her about her weight. Her reaction was extreme. I think it is all tied together with her own self esteem, a husband that probably made her feel worthless if she gained weight, and losing someone she loves.

She described her love with Eddie as more brother sister in the end. I don't think it had anything to do with her marriage break up. 

Respected Contributor

I haven't read her new book, but I did read her other one, Losing It And Gaining My Life Back One Pound At A Time. I enjoyed it very much. She wrote about her childhiood, being on One Day At a Time, her tv career, her marriage and divorce. Although they both used drugs, Ed's main demon was alcohol. Val wrote that Ed managed to get very drunk right after their wedding ceremony, but before the start of their wedding reception. He ended up being sick while she held his hair back. Not a good way to start a marriage. 

She stayed with him and put up with a lot during their 20 year marriage. I don't think they ever stopped loving each other, but she finally had enough of his drug and alcohol addiction. Also cited was infidelity on both their parts.

I remember reading stories about Valerie's second husband,Tom Vitale, having a history of domestic abuse with his ex-wife.  

Court papers reveal Vitale was jailed in Scottsdale, Ariz., in 2001 for allegedly attacking his ex-wife, pinning her to the ground and then resisting arrest.

The former financial planner was also investigated for allegedly punching the couple’s then 11-year-old daughter. He was ordered to attend 12 weeks of anger management classes as part of a sentence.

Vitale was back in court again in 2002 for allegedly attacking a man, ripping off his clothes and damaging a cell phone.

In January 2004, he was slapped with 24 months of supervised probation for yet another assault charge.

I agree with you ladies that mentioned how Ed's current wife must've felt hearing the comments Val made after he died. I don't think Val and Ed ever really stopped loving each other, but she really should've kept those comments to herself. I thought it was disrespectful to his widow. I also wondered at the time how Tom must've felt hearing Val say she and Ed would meet in the next life.

Honored Contributor

I heard Valerie say on a talk show that both she and Eddie were separated from their significant spouses at the time of Eddie's death, but that Eddie's current spouse still loved him and was with him when he passed, but no longer lived with him.....

Honored Contributor

That does seem to put a bit of a different light on the matter.  I am happy he was loved by many before he went home above.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."