Trusted Contributor

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: RE LIBRARIES & E-BOOKS

Thanks LoriLori.

I signed the petition.  I read about this a few weeks ago.  

I stopped buying books as I do not have the space in my small apartment to store them.  And if I do purchase a book, I donate them to my local library. 

I don't have a problem waiting for a hardcover or e-book.  If it's because the book is new or very popular, that's life.  If it's because the book publisher is playing games, well I'll find something else to read and it won't be from that publisher.  

Our taxes support the libraries, so we are paying for those books either way.

Frequent Contributor

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: E-READERS WHO GET LIBRARY BOOKS

Obviously you have no idea how libraries work.  And, your privilege stains the page.

QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@ValuSkr- I'm lucky in that I can afford to buy any book I want.  Not everyone is that fortunate, and those people depend on their libraries.

Reading and staying current should not be considered a luxury in the richest country in the world, IMO.  Yes, those who cannot afford to buy the books themselves will now have to wait two months.  However, as someone who also utilizes our public library, I can tell you that current books often have long waiting lists.

So people will not be waiting just two months; it could be much longer than that, once the library actually has the book.

Of course businesses want to make a profit, but it should be fair.  The libraries are customers, just as any individual, and they serve a very real need in their communities.

I think many of us can afford to buy our books. I, however, choose not to. I only read novels once and then I'm done. I never saw the point of buying books if I only read them once. I've been an avid reader my entire life and some of my happiest times have been spent in the library, browsing the shelves. These days, I get all my eBooks from the library but I don't even have to go and get them anymore. It makes life so easy.

I don't have to read the newest books the day they come out, although I'd like to. I don't even care if a book is ten years old; if it's on my TBR list, I'll be happy to read it.

All I want to do is relax with a good book!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Trusted Contributor

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: RE LIBRARIES & E-BOOKS

@sunala, totally agree!!! I have a cousin who just refuses to wait for a new book to be available at her library so she goes out and purchases it brand new! She does pass it along to others when she is finished with it, but I cringe (and tease her) when I think of paying the price of a new book! LOL!!!📖