Honored Contributor

I just received this lovely book.  I'm getting back into reading some of Tony Hillerman's novels as well as those of his daughter, Anne Hillerman, and this is the perfect accompaniment.

It features beautiful photography and explanations connected with his books highlighting the areas in which his characters live and work.  

@Kachina624 I was wondering if you are a fan of these authors, too.

Image result for tony hillerman's landscape

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Tony Hillerman's Landscape

I don't care for mysteries so haven't read those Tony Hillerman books but have read those about places.  The area of New Mexico about which he writes, namely the Navajo Nation, is very beautiful and mysterious.  I just love to drive through it and can easily understand why it's an effective background for mysteries.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Occasional Contributor

I have read many of Hillerman's books, and afterwards I dream of going back to New Mexico. No doubt, I will love this book. Didn't know his daughter was writing too. Will look into that as well.

Anyone who loves beautiful, discriptive landscape language, plus deep mystery will love James Lee Burke. He is very well known in the mystery world.

Occasional Contributor

Nice! Will check this out as well. Thanks for the recommendations!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I don't care for mysteries so haven't read those Tony Hillerman books but have read those about places.  The area of New Mexico about which he writes, namely the Navajo Nation, is very beautiful and mysterious.  I just love to drive through it and can easily understand why it's an effective background for mysteries.

@Kachina624   I love his books and have read all of them.  I so wish there would be more!  You might try one and see how it goes.  There are certainly mysteries, but the characters, the landscape and the traditions are so vivid that they almost outshine the mystery that unfolds.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner@GingerPeach     I believe in some of his books Hillerman mentions the Skinwalkers, mythical creatures that take the form of animals in Navajo lore.  I've read a lot about them including a report by two State police officer who were on patrol one night out in the middle of nowhere and  wrote a detailed report on their encounter with Skinwalkers.  I read one book about a man's horseback trip across the reservation and his experience with them.  It was enough to curl ones hair.  Fortunately, according to myth, they only attack Indians.  I hope that's true.  All these stories fascinate me

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

I first heard about skinwalkers in the original Roswell tv show (from the late 1990s).

But @Sooner  is so right that Hillerman describes the culture and traditions beautifully.  He weaves all into every storyline so nothing stands out as glaringly "educational" or inappropriate.  I just finished "The Dark Wind" which was the best yet (it's book #5).  "Skinwalkers" is the title of book #7.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.