Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

Gardenman, I just noticed the description of a new book you're writing: "The Ten Thousand." it sounds interesting; does it happen to take place in the future? The premise sounds dystopian and of the science fiction genre. 

Yep. It takes place in the not too distant future. A global government had formed and discovered they couldn't provide everything promised to the people, so they killed off 99.9% of the people. They kept alive their most loyal and trustworthy followers and killed off the rest. The population is just now rebounding as the story unfolds.

I can send you a copy of the early draft if you're interested. It would be a DOCX file. It's more or less finished. There are a few things still to tweak. I introduce the rebel general late in the book and I want to sneak her in earlier along with a few other minor tweaks. It's definitely dystopian and only a little bit science fictiony (for lack of a better word.) About the only futuristic thing in it is the DNA scanners used to mete out government backed credits and monitor one's health. We're probably not too far from those being a reality. We've got fingerprint scanners, facial recognition and voice prints now, so instant (or near instant) DNA analysis likely isn't too far off.

When 99.9% of the population gets killed by the government tehnological advances pretty much stop and even regress.Few live to service modern tech so the tech dies. The global government doesn't really care as people being less connected makes them less likely to rally together to topple the government. The government however still uses the modern tech for their own purposes like credit distribution and surveillance.

@I like the story. I'm not sure anyone else will, but I like it, so that's good. If you want a copy you can email me at dashinn2 at gmail.com (you know to replace the at with @ and no spaces) and I'll forward you a copy. Just don't expect it to be perfect. It's got a few tweaks needed yet.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

First lines of Frederik Backman's "Beartown":

"Late one evening toward the end of March, a teenager picked up a double-barreled shotgun, walked into the forest, put the gun to someone else's forehead, and pulled the trigger.

"This is the story of how we got there."

@CareBears @abbalulu @dawglover @smoky22 @CANDLEQUEEN

sorry for whomever I've forgotten.  It really is such a compelling beginning, he is so great at first lines.

Esteemed Contributor

First line of Back When We Were Grownups by Anne Tyler:

"Once upon a time, there was a woman who discovered that she had turned into the wrong person."

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett