Respected Contributor

Re: This is a book I won't soon forget.

@sunalawrote:

@Big Sisterwrote:

"Beneath a Scarlet Sky:  A Novel."  Author is Mark Sullivan.

I just finished it on my Kindle and I highly recommend it.  The story is set in Northern Italy (Milan, Lake Como, the Alps, etc.)  during the last two-three years of the Second World War when the Germans took over the area around Milan.

A young Italian man, Pino Lella, becomes a hero and a spy.

Please check it out; I think  you will enjoy the story.  It's quite fascinating.

hi @Big Sister - I own this book and it's been on my Kindle for quite a while. I totally forgot about it. Thanks so much for the reminder, and I'm so glad you enjoyed it so much!

PS What are you reading on these days? Did you get your Kindle Keyboard fixed or have you moved on up? Enjoy!

@sunala, Hi, I still read on my Kindle Keyboard and have bought a few backups that were refurbished, because I like it so much. 

Always nice "talking" to you, Sunala.

Esteemed Contributor

@sallyann38wrote:

THE NIGHTINGALE by KRISTIN HANNAH.

It is a story about the Germans invading  France and all the brave people fighting against them.  It is a book you will not forget.

I read this about a year ago.  What a good book!!

Valued Contributor

I put this book, Beneath a Scarlet Sky on hold at our library, thanks to these recommendations. The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah is another book I highly recommend.

Frequent Contributor

@sallyann38 wrote:

It is a story about the Germans invading  France and all the brave people fighting against them.  It is a book you will not forget.

I read it.  Such a sad story.  Amazing what humans can do to other humans - such incredibly cruelty

Frequent Contributor

I read it!  Great book and true story as told by Mr. Lella!

Esteemed Contributor

@Spinach30 wrote:

@sallyann38 wrote:

I read it.  Such a sad story.  Amazing what humans can do to other humans - such incredibly cruelty

@Spinach30- this is one of the few books that made me cry out loud. I was literally sobbing at the ending. I can't take too many of these books at a time. I have to space them out because they can be overwhelming. Excellent book.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Occasional Contributor

The Nightengale is one of the best books I’ve read.

Honored Contributor

My favorite war time book was All The Light You Cannot See.

Contributor

I also really liked this book.  I read many books about the war and I thought this one based on the Italian point of view very interesting . The main character was inspirational.

I highly recommend.