Respected Contributor

Re: The Traveling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikawa

@LoriLoriwrote:

@abbalulu, hmmmm, how did someone get a Kindle copy of a book that isn't out here in Kindle?  I know the other reviews are overseas or bought from the few Amazon has.  But a Kindle copy exists here -- that would be great news for a lot of people who e-read!!!

@LoriLori  I'm replying to this post only because I want to mention that on my copy of the book, on the back cover, at the bottom, it says: "ebook available."

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

n/m, see below

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@smoky22@abbalulu,

Abbalu, hmmm, how did not one but two people get Kindle verified copies, and recently.

I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner -- I just posted questions to them asking how they got it.  Both have really, really high reviewer rankings (one over 11 million, the other over 12 million) so I don't expect an answer and they may not even know to subscribe to comments on their reviews --

-- but it's worth a shot, if one of them answers it will make many people here happy!

Trusted Contributor

@LoriLori I hope someone will answer. It is an intriguing question. Sometimes when someone asks me a question on Amazon I answer and sometimes I don't. Depending on if I know the actual answer or if I want to take the time to answer. Boy they have a lot of reviews! I read kindle books and paper books so it doesn't matter to me either way. Actually, I probably would have gotten the paper edition of this one anyway as it might be something I want to pass on to my husband and he never uses his kindle.I know he really liked Ove so he might like this one too. He said Ove reminded him of himself.  I do have my copy but haven't started it yet as I have to be in the right mood for certain books-if anyone gets that.  

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Honored Contributor

@abbaluluwrote:

@LoriLori I hope someone will answer. It is an intriguing question. Sometimes when someone asks me a question on Amazon I answer and sometimes I don't. Depending on if I know the actual answer or if I want to take the time to answer. Boy they have a lot of reviews! I read kindle books and paper books so it doesn't matter to me either way. Actually, I probably would have gotten the paper edition of this one anyway as it might be something I want to pass on to my husband and he never uses his kindle.I know he really liked Ove so he might like this one too. He said Ove reminded him of himself.  I do have my copy but haven't started it yet as I have to be in the right mood for certain books-if anyone gets that.  

I totally get that!!!!  I always say, every book has its time.  There are some that have been sat unread on my shelf for years.  Others arrive and go to the head of the line.  I bet a lot of people can relate.

Honored Contributor

@abbalulu@smoky22

I just saw a third verified review of a Kindle edition.  I asked that person too.  The problem is they all have reviewer rankings in the millions and probably don't even know how to subscribe to comments on their reviews.  And they have very few reviews.  It's super odd but I don't expect to hear from any of the three and I hope I'm wrong. 

Honored Contributor

@abbalulu@smoky22 & others,

I have not heard back from the three who have verified reviews of their Kindle and for the reason I explained above I don't expect to.  BUT I just signed into Amazon and went to the page for the book and there's a thing on the right that says "Tell the publisher I want to read the book on Kindle" so I clicked on it.  If enough people do that...

...I have no idea how many "enough people" is but if you tell everyone you can it maybe could help?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori I went to the Amazon page to look for how I could request the ebook.  I couldn't find it at first.  I had to scroll down past all the "customers who bought this also bought" and the "customers who viewed this also viewed" and then I found it just past the Product Details.  I clicked on "tell the publisher I'd like to read this book on kindle" and I got the thank you message.  Then I went back and clicked on it again and I got the thank you message again.  Not sure it's actually recording subsequent requests, but I thought what the heck.  Thanks for pointing out that there is a place to make this request.

Also, those prices from third party sellers are all over the place (and nuts).

Also, also, I'm glad I have a real copy of the book.  The illustrations would probably not translate that well on a kindle, but I know the readership would increase with kindle availability.  

Honored Contributor

@abbalulu@smoky22@Yahooey and all others:  This is a copy of a post I made on the monthly thread:  This is how much I love this book, that I would spend all that time on the phone with Amazon with a sore throat because I want it to get as wide an audience as possible!

Update:

On The Travelling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikawa

and I'm going to post it on that thread too.  This is how much I love this book and want to get it in as many of your cat-loving, great-book-loving hands as possible:

I emailed Amazon twice about the Kindle-verified reviews and got nothing helpful back.  So I just spent half an hour on the phone with tech.  They said every one of those "Kindle-verified reviews" is a glitch from their computer.  There is not and has never been a Kindle version available here.

One part is they are going to look at the technical glitch.

But the other part is they are going to escalate to corporate people who are responsible for these things that they need to work with the publisher to get it published here!

They're calling me next week.  This book NEEDS to be published.  I told them it's not as good as Ove, not at all, but is in the same heartfelt, funny, beautifully-written category as Ove.  That got their attention!

Trusted Contributor

@LoriLori you are a true crusader. I hope the author of this book gets word of your dedication.

Thank you for clearing up the mystery of the kindle reviews. You are very observant; as I never notice what format the reviewer has read.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx