Respected Contributor

Re: The Traveling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikawa

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori  I'm so happy you ended up still loving the book.  There were some reviews that indicated it might be sad.  I only read the headlines.  I didn't want to read the actual reviews.  And even if it is sad, it still sounds like a fabulous book.  I can't wait for my copy to arrive.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@LoriLori

Did you breakup with your BF? Did you kick Ove over for the Black or White kitteh?

No, Yahooey for two reasons:  First, author Hiro Arikawa is a woman (and Nana the cat is a male who resents having a female's name) and anyway this is a single book and Backman's got four books and two novellas 

-- but I love this cat and this book with all of my heart and I'll be back and take the journey again with them, I can't stop thinking about it.

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori  in my original email from Book Depository, they stated the normal shipping time to the US is 8 - 12 days.  Do you know if they send any kind of email after that or does the book just arrive one day?   

Honored Contributor

@smoky22, it just shows up one day.  They have no mechanism for tracking unless it goes beyond that period (not counting weekends or US and UK holidays) and you write to them complaining.  Then they send you the US tracking info.  Not ideal, shall we say.

Don't know if you read my post to Jud -- be sure when you open the package to take out the bookmark.  Every order comes with one of their bookmarks.  Some are better than others!

This book is implanted in my heart.  Parts of it come to me often. 

Yesterday I found myself in a shelter where the "meet and greet" room was dedicated in memory of a dear friend of mine who passed away last year, who volunteered there for ten years and gave a lot of herself and loved it.  I had to put my hand over the side of my face not to look at the kittens and cats -- my mother made me give my cat away once i moved in, sigh -- and don't you know I caught a glimpse of just one little kitten and she had the same markings as Nana!

p.s.  My heart was a calico torty runt (seven-and-a-half pounds full grown).  But I've always known my next cat, which hopefully there will be one someday, will be black.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh @LoriLori  I'm so sorry you had to give your cat away.  I'm sure that was heartbreaking!  Hugs to you Heart  

I know at one time your avatar was a calico cat.  I remember it well and wondered why you took down the picture.   

Honored Contributor

Thanks so much, @smoky22.  Mom vs. cat...I did think about it for a sec LOL.

Seriously, yes this book is about a man who has to give away his cat and is trying to find the right home but that is not why I love it so much.  I love it so much because the writing is lovely and it has so much heart as well as laughs.  I won't say it didn't bring up stuff for me but it will for everyone one way or another...Worth it, because it's such a honey of a book.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori  I got an email. My book is enroute. I don't care how long it takes-I have 2 books to finish.

I'm a dog person. My first experience with cats was finding a calico who'd been trying to make friends with me, under my porch-she'd just had six babies. I shouldn't say just. They were about 3 weeks old. I had been holding her every time she came around (before I knew what was under the porch) because I felt sorry for her. I sneezed the  whole time and my eyes itched. But I did it anyway and finally got used to it and it stopped. Anyway, I went to my trusty computer to find out what to give these kittens and it told me how to make an equivalent to the old pablum for human babies! I made it but can't remember if they drank it but one little kitty couldn't ever get milk from his mom. He couldn't find a place at the table. Poor guy. I took him and bottle fed him each day and he slept in a box in my room so I could feed him if he woke.  In the morning we would go out and show mom and she was so happy. Before you knew it, this 'runt' was the only one who could make it up my 2 front steps. He astounded me. So, the inevitable happened and I had to give them away. They were cats now. Didn't take very long. So we had a no kill shelter just opened and I called them and they were very good-they came and put her in a cage here and we rounded up the six kitties and until that last one was in the cage with her she was at unrest, but as soon as they were all together she seemed content. I called her Calico (how original) and I cried when she left with her crew. Loved her. Today I wonder how I did it. I guess it was about 7 years ago. I still think about her. 

P.S. I should say she was my second experience with a cat. In my whole life. I've always had dogs.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline, thank you for sharing that, it's wonderful.  Not being a cat person makes it sooooo special.  You took in the little girl and made a champ out of her.  Whoever adopted any of them was so lucky and you are an angel but I already knew that.

Honored Contributor

I wish more people would read the thread and take the plunge and get it from Book Depository UK.  It is SUCH a great book.  I always have to worry about overpraising but different parts will touch each person's heart more than others but there is no one that could read it and not be moved here or there...

...it's a fantastic book and a darn shame it's not published here (and I even wrote that in my review) and I don't understand it.  

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori  I can't get over you giving away your cat. You're a better man than I am. I see you were between a rock and a hard place. Awful situation.