Honored Contributor

Re: The Top Ten Books Everyone Lies About Reading

@Laura14 wrote:

It's actually comforting to know I am not the only person on the face of the earth who has never read To Kill a Mockingbird.

You’ll have plenty of time to read it when you go to the Pen. 😎 @Laura14

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Mice and Men and 1984 I have not read.  As far as the Harry Potter series read them twice.  They were wonderful.  A friend who has three daughters told me to trust her and read them, she was so right.

@beckyb1012

I also haven’t read those 2. I started reading Harry Potter when my students were reading them. I really like the series and have reread it a few times. 

Trusted Contributor

I've read all ten, at different points in my life.  No lie.

Honored Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@LoriLori  I thought it was odd about Romeo and Juliet too.  That's why I said it was on the internets.  I have never read Proust.  

I actually think I lied when I said I had never read Harry Potter.  I think I read the first one and it just didn't interest me.  I had a co worker who loved the books and wanted to lend me every one.  I felt bad telling her I didn't find the first one all that interesting.  I'm pretty sure I finished it (it was a long time ago).  I have nothing against any of the themes in the Potter books.  Call me unimaginative.  I know a lot of kids credit Harry Potter with starting their love of reading and I know the Potter books are always on the best seller list. I think it's wonderful that they're so popular.

Me too, I lied!!!   Hahahahahaha.  Made a mistake but still it's a lie.

I didn't notice "Of Mice and Men."  Couldn't bring myself to read it and -- English major here (actually half of a double-major) -- was never asked to read it in high school or college.  But Smoky, you may remember me telling you I got the gist of it from the parody on "Family Guy."

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori  I've watched a few more episodes of Family Guy and have come to appreciate their parody Of Mice and Men. You're right, not understanding the characters, I didn't really get the parody. Family Guy is sort of like CliffsNotes (haha).    

Esteemed Contributor

I will admit it. I have only read three of the books on this list and only because they were required reading while in H.S. I am not sure why people would lie about reading them, either you have or you have not. 

Honored Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@LoriLori  I've watched a few more episodes of Family Guy and have come to appreciate their parody Of Mice and Men. You're right, not understanding the characters, I didn't really get the parody. Family Guy is sort of like CliffsNotes (haha).    

Smiley Happy   I love it.  My favorite episodes I've seen a zillion times.  Like The Simpsons they've been on so long they've mostly run out of new ideas so the literature parody was a great idea, I love it. 

And you know how much I love how right they got Gatsby.  They nailed the green light and then made a really funny joke about it LOL.  And the billboard.  Those two things for me (and probably everyone who loves the book) are the soul of Gatsby:  the green light and the billboard.

Honored Contributor

I've read eight of them. Almost all of them in high school literature classes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If it hard to lie about reading them. Some like the To Catch a Mocking Bird/Harry Potter books were fashionably  something to read. Apart from the Potter books, all are required reading in school from middle-high school.  Maybe they skipped/skimmed chapters? Even skipping chapters would give the laziest student some idea about the plot in the book.  Required reading is more homework then an exam.  I doubt they would risk failure over a book.  It's not exactly Trigonometry. 

Honored Contributor

I have read several on that list, but not all of them.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.