Romeo and Juliet

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Diary of Anne Frank

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Lord of the Flies

The Scarlet Letter

The Great Gatsby

Of Mice and Men

I thought it was a funny list.  I've read all of them except Harry Potter.  It seems like most of them were required reading in school. 

@smoky22

Where did you find this?   

These were required reading, so I also have read all but Harry Potter.   Why would people lie about reading them?    I could be wrong, but I don't ever recall reading, or not reading,  them come up in everyday conversations.   

Honored Contributor

Re: The Top Ten Books Everyone Lies About Reading

"Of Mice and Men" was not required reading in my schools, high school or college.  

The Steinbeck we had to read (and which I consider a far better choice) was "The Grapes of Wrath."

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@smoky22

Where did you find this?   

These were required reading, so I also have read all but Harry Potter.   Why would people lie about reading them?    I could be wrong, but I don't ever recall reading, or not reading,  them come up in everyday conversations.   

My friends and I discuss books old and new on a regular basis.  My family does too, from my 93-year-old aunt to my nephew and his wife, who are Millenials.  Classics, contemporary, we love talking books. 

In the context of the PBS list I was just discussing "The Call of the Wild" with my best friend (since we're three years old) yesterday, how we both resented and dreaded being made to read it and how we loved it.  I want to read it again.  

So to those who say assigning books can kill a love of reading, it can also have the opposite effect.  I would never have read a lot of the 100 list or this one if I wasn't made to.

Honored Contributor

I can never figure out where these statistics come from.  Ive never been ask if I read any of these books, what I watch on TV, listen to on the radio, etc.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

According to the internets, everyone lies about having read these 10 books:

To Kill A Mockingbird

Romeo and Juliet

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Diary of Anne Frank

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Lord of the Flies

The Scarlet Letter

The Great Gatsby

Of Mice and Men

I thought it was a funny list.  I've read all of them except Harry Potter.  It seems like most of them were required reading in school. 

I think I read of mice and men and romeo and juliet a long long time ago  maybe the great gadsby

Respected Contributor

I have read all of them, including all the Harry Potter books. Some were required in school, of course. Mostly, I am a nonfiction reader, though. Not big on fiction most of the time. 

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady-

I always remember having to read Ullysses in school and didn't like it either.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLoriAnother who loved Moby D i c k  and a book titled Kon Tiki.  Great adventures and strength of character. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.