Esteemed Contributor

The Secret History, Donna Tartt

Has anyone read this?  I really like her writing style and I think her character development is good as well.  I really liked this book but thought the ending was weak. 

Has anyone else read this?  What do you think about the ending?

Please mark spoilers if you give the storyline.  TIA. LM

Respected Contributor

Re: The Secret History, Donna Tartt

This is a terrific read! Take your time, small details can impact later events in the storyline.

I liked this much more than the Goldfinch, which won the Pulitizer Prize several years ago.

Esteemed Contributor

@maestra, I finished the book. I agree it was a great read.  Maybe that's why I found the ending wanting?   What did you think of the ending?  LM

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom It's been a while but the ending did tie up characters pretty well, esp. if you re-read the beginning.

I liked that it was a little anti climactic since so much of the book were poor choices compounded by self indulgent adolescents.

Valued Contributor

Started this book yesterday.  I'm on the fence as to whether it is better than 

The Goldfinch.

Valued Contributor

I finished The Secret History  and was, like others, disappointed in the ending.  A little too neatly drawn, in my opinion.  I would say that it is a little better than The Goldfinch in characterization but, otherwise equal.

Respected Contributor

I like The Secret HIstory better than The Goldfinch.  The Goldfinch was a very controversial Pulitzer Prize winner.  Half of the critics liked and the other half said it was  not worthy of the Pulitzer Prize.  Personally I enjoyed the novel, but I thought it needed further editing.  The Goldfinch will be either a terrific movie or mini series.  The novel certainly lended itself to that premise.  Donna Tartt did a great job with character development in both Secret History and Goldfinch.