Respected Contributor

The Guest List by Lucy Foley

This is the worst book I have ever read.

Honored Contributor

Re: The Guest List by Lucy Foley

As of last week you will get no arugument from me on that one.  Just awful.  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

@insomniac2   I have to laugh.  Thank you for posting this.  I had this book on hold from our library's e-book app.  It showed up as a "skip the line" book -- which meant that I had a week to read it rather than the usual three.  This has now been going on for at least two months because every week when it shows up as ready to borrow -- I just don't want to read it and suspend for another week.  Totally different from most books that I am looking forward to reading when they are available.  Time to cancel my hold!

Honored Contributor

I am so grateful for you all posting about this book. It was top of my TBR List, until I started reading all of your reviews! Thanks, it is off the list!

Honored Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

@insomniac2 , I bought this for my kindle when it was on sale. I haven't got around to reading it yet, so what was the problem?  Was it bad writing, unlikable characters, silly plot ?  I would be interested in what you didn't like about it, if you would share. TIA

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I agree.  This book has so many great reviews that I just had to buy it.  I read about a third of the way into it and just couldn't like it.  I set it aside and read something else.

Esteemed Contributor

It's so ironic as so many times books have great reviews like movies and then they are a disappointment.    I read a few over the years when Oprah did her recommended top picks and the worst one for me was Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan.    Not to get off topic of The Guest List but it's one I will pass on by.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

I am so grateful for you all posting about this book. It was top of my TBR List, until I started reading all of your reviews! Thanks, it is off the list!

@CANDLEQUEEN 

Don't torture yourself. It's an awful book with horrible human beings, that you will want to murder.

Esteemed Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@insomniac2 wrote:

@insomniac2 , I bought this for my kindle when it was on sale. I haven't got around to reading it yet, so what was the problem?  Was it bad writing, unlikable characters, silly plot ?  I would be interested in what you didn't like about it, if you would share. TIA

@QVCkitty1 

For me it was the characters. They were really awful people. Then how the ending all wrapped up and tied into one character was beyond far fetched to me. Those who have read the book will know exactly what I mean. 

Honored Contributor

I actually finished the book.  Why?  Now that's a mystery!  I tried to read The Hunting Party and thought surely I was missing something, but, hold on to your hats, it's even far worse.  I couldn't make it very far with this. 

I'm too old for this, and have been, like you all, exposed to far better writing.  Not to even say "literature."