Respected Contributor

Re: The Great American Read starts tonight on PBS

@LoriLori wrote: 

@smoky22it was kinda sorta on track.  If I notice the rerun of the lit episode of FG I will give you a heads up...

@LoriLori  in all these notes I didn't want this to get lost.  If you see the rerun of the Family Guy episode you mentioned, please let me know when it's on.  I would love to see it. 

Honored Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@LoriLori wrote: 

@smoky22it was kinda sorta on track.  If I notice the rerun of the lit episode of FG I will give you a heads up...

@LoriLori  in all these notes I didn't want this to get lost.  If you see the rerun of the Family Guy episode you mentioned, please let me know when it's on.  I would love to see it. 

@smoky22, I promise.  There are sixteen seasons so they don't rerun as often as most shows.  All my talk about how the subtext of the book is what makes it the best, they got the subtext...

...Also Bill Maher has been on (people from both sides have, including an entire episode involving Rush Limbaugh that Limbaugh voiced)...with Bill Maher one of the characters (the family dog, who is a published author and playwright) was on Bill Maher's show and it was live action with the Family Guy character appearing via special effects, Bill Maher and a panel of real guests who appear on his show.

Respected Contributor

I read The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho).  Hard to believe all the glowing reviews and that it's actually on this list of favorite  books.  This book is utter nonsense (wishful thinking can do wonders for the self-deluded). 

Honored Contributor

@smoky22  I haven't read it -- because I've heard the same things about it that you posted.

Here is the Family Guy version of Gatsby, not sure if it will be as fun (and pointed) since you don't know who the characters are regularly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItUhWpsdUfg

and here's the segment where Brian (the dog/author/playwright) is on Bill Maher, and it should only be seen by people who like Bill Maher and @smoky22 I hope you really like it (Brian is a good dog, but prone to egotism, he's an amazing character, they all are):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlutyYa9UfQ

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori  thanks for posting this for me.  I enjoyed them both.  Bill Maher, of course.  The Great Gatsby segment was quite funny and they sure crammed a lot into their 10 minutes. I probably didn't get all the litlle references.  It almost makes me want to read the book again, haha.

I set up Family Guy to tape on my DVR.  

Honored Contributor

@smoky22, sooooo glad.  It's my go-to tv show when I'm down. 

And I did watch Maher, I just stopped after Milo Y. was on but it's time to start back up.  Seth has been on lots of times.

Seth also does a bunch of voices including the father, the baby, the dog, and more you'll get to know Smiley Happy

Best of all I'm glad you got the take on the book.  It was a deep dive by someone who has a thorough understanding of the book and a sense of humor.  

The other two books are on youtube too:  "Of Mice and Men" which watching the Family Guy version makes me glad I never read it, and "Huck Finn."

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori  I hate when Bill has on guests like Milo.  And he always tells them how brave they are to come on his show.  Yuck.  I love his monologues and his little editorial at the end is usually good, but he can be really tone deaf about some issues.  I suspect there is some mysogyny in there somewhere.  And I hate when he gives the stink eye to his audience because they boo one of his jokes.  He pretends they just don't get it and I always yell at my tv, No, Bill your joke was just lame.  He's not perfect.

Of Mice and Men is tragic.  I look forward to seeing what Family Guy did with it.

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori  I looked up the Of Mice And Men episode of Family Guy and I'm kind of appalled.  I think it's definitely a miss.  I'm not sure why they would even parody this book.  Sure, it was basically faithful to the story but in a really shallow way.  I can see why you would not want to read the book after seeing this, lol. And unless you're a Steinbeck fan, I probably don't recommend the book at all. 

Are you still voting for The Great Gatsby every day?  I forget to vote some days, but I've decided to vote only for The Grapes of Wrath when I do vote.

Honored Contributor

@smoky22

Most days I forgot to vote too.  "Grapes of Wrath" is a great American book.  Did you watch FG's "Huck Finn?"  Question about "Of Mice and Men":

Spoiler
Was that character really slow, did he kil an animal and a person with very little thought?  (As opposed to Gatsby, where the rich literally and with little empahy run right over the poor).  Ir's so foul, seeing that juar in parody...

...If you did watch "Huck Finn" hope you liked it.  They nailed the racism and other things.
Honored Contributor

@smoky22, forgot to say:  sorry you were appalled!  So sorry.