Honored Contributor

Re: The Great American Read starts tonight on PBS

One more thing (always LOL):

Harry Potter (and the girl talking about that was terrific), Game of Thrones, etc., when it's a series they only count one book.  

Esteemed Contributor

I heard about "The Great American Read" but haven't watched it. There is a big difference between "Best book" and "best loved." I've tried reading some of the best loved and didn't care for them, so I'm probably in the minority. 

In the science fiction genre, one of my great reads would be "Hyperion" series by Dan Simmons. That is a masterpiece. 

One book that most likely will be mentioned is 'Catcher in the Rye." I don't understand the praise that book gets. I couldn't stand the character (is he suppose to be some kind of hero?) and thought the book was overrated. I didn't even finish it, felt that I was wasting my time reading it. I know others thought differently, but it just didn't work for me. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw, "Catcher in the Rye" (which I believe is a masterpiece but many people don't) is in the part that aired last night.  I can't remember who talks about it but they were on point and very interesting.  

Spoiler
He was never meant to be a hero.  He's mentally ill, and this person talks about that, how reading it he went from delight or whatever, I forget the word he used, to deep sadness.

I misunderstood that it's about best loved and not best book.   There's no way anyone could love or even like every book on the list, they are so different.

Honored Contributor

@teganslawthey state stats in the show and just about one-quarter of all books on the list are sci fi/fantasy.  That surprised me. 

In many cases I love the author but, for example, with Vonnegut rather than "The Sirens of Titan" I would have chosen "Slaughterhouse Five."

But it's hours and hours on books so it's all great.

Honored Contributor

Okay, this is odd.  Treating books like American Idol contestants.  It also says "When the full series launches on September 11th..." so what was that, a tease???

http://www.pbs.org/the-great-american-read/about/how-to-vote/

Esteemed Contributor

I won't be voting since I don't have one favorite book. There are many of them I like. I'm not sure about the full series they mention; what are they showing now? No matter, a series like this gets people interested in reading, which is a good thing. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@LoriLori  I went through the list and question even that they are the "best loved."  Who voted, indeed.  I don't plan to watch (unless you watch and then tell me I should have watched, lol).  Maybe they will explain how these books got on the list.    

@smoky22in case my point was lost in my forest of words LOL:  I watched and I'm telling you you should watch.  It opens with the author of Game of Thrones, something I've never read or watched and never would, and he had me at hello.  It's all about the love of books and impact of books and I was rapt and cried a few times.

Honored Contributor

Also I learned yesterday you can vote without registering, without Twitter or Facebook.  Just go to the PBS web site for the show and put in your email and you vote, every day until October.  

Respected Contributor

The show was not on my PBS station last night, but I did record it at 4 A.M. today.

I've only watched about a half hour, but it is STUPENDOUS.

I am resolved that I will read both The Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings.

Valuable footage!

Honored Contributor

Just realized "A Man Called Ove" is not on it.  Pfffffft.