Contributor
If you havent grabbed this book, get it! Rarely do i find a book that keeps me up until 2 a.m. this one did. The author makes you feel you are right there in the backwoods of Alaska with the family about which its written. Just when im anticipating the plot going one way, off it goes in a different direction. Curl up with this book. I dont think you will regret it.
Esteemed Contributor
I just started the audiobook yesterday. It will take a while to finish (13 hours to go; I only listen when in my car). But, so far I’m liking it!
Esteemed Contributor

Spotted the book today at Costco. Looked compelling. By Kristin Hannah

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Valued Contributor

@susankatewrote:
If you havent grabbed this book, get it! Rarely do i find a book that keeps me up until 2 a.m. this one did. The author makes you feel you are right there in the backwoods of Alaska with the family about which its written. Just when im anticipating the plot going one way, off it goes in a different direction. Curl up with this book. I dont think you will regret it.

A friend of mine said exactly the same thing -- almost word for word!

Trusted Contributor

Just finished it. Kristen Hannah is now officially on my list of favorite authors. The Nightingale (also by Hannah) was my favorite book of 2016.I actually read that one twice, and I haven't re-read a book in 30 years.

Honored Contributor

@susankate

Thanks for this recommendarion!  She is one of my favorite writers! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I am on the wait list at my library for this book.   Cat Happy

Respected Contributor

I'm bumping this thread, because if you haven't read this book...stop what you're doing and put it on hold at the library or buy it.  Such an amazing, well-told story!!!!

Respected Contributor

Not only do I love Kristin Hannah, I loved this book so much.  I couldn't put it down.  I got a free copy from somewhere and glad I did. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

I'm bumping this thread, because if you haven't read this book...stop what you're doing and put it on hold at the library or buy it.  Such an amazing, well-told story!!!!

@Ainhisg- I totally agree! I loved it from beginning to end. I also have included Kristen Hannah as one of my favorite authors. I had been under the impression that her books were soft and flowery, but I was wrong. I loved The Nightingale and now The Great Alone. I also read The Home Front in 2012, and I enjoyed that one as well but not as much as these. I think I'm going to be reading more of her books.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett