Respected Contributor

She and her brother (the little boy in front) survived!

On June 8, 1972, nine-year-old Kim Phuc, severely burned by napalm, ran from her blazing village in South Vietnam and into the eye of history. Her photograph-one of the most unforgettable images of the twentieth century-was seen around the world and helped turn public opinion against the Vietnam War.

This book is the story of how that photograph came to be-and the story of what happened to that girl after the camera shutter closed. Award-winning biographer Denise Chong's portrait of Kim Phuc-who eventually defected to Canada and is now a UNESCO spokesperson-is a rare look at the Vietnam War from the Vietnamese point-of-view and one of the only books to describe everyday life in the wake of this war and to probe its lingering effects on all its participants.

Honored Contributor

I remember that horrifying picture and I'm so glad to read she and her brother survived. Thank you .

I never knew!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@on the bayWhen I see that picture I cry and want to hug her. I googled her and saw her grown up wanted to hug her still and the tears continue.  I'm so happy to read that she achieved love and happiness as did her brother.  Also, I think many people she met in life hugged her and cried, in fact I'm crying now. She said the burns she got on her back from the napalm made her feel that no one would ever love her but then she met the man who fell in love with her and marry her. 

Honored Contributor

@truffle-

Oh wow-How wonderful is that?!

Thank you for sharing that story of her life. That is such happy news!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor
@on the bay wrote:

@truffle-

Oh wow-How wonderful is that?!

Thank you for sharing that story of her life. That is such happy news!

You're welcome. I wish I could stop crying though. I must be unusually weepy right now. @on the bay

Honored Contributor

@truffle-

That's ok!Heart

Sometimes if I hear a certain song or story it makes me cry and I can't stop.

Or the other day, I think it was that girl on AGT who was the only survivor of the plane crash-when she sang and then started to cry, I couldn't stop!

I think it is all these human emotions just overflowing into a bucket full of tears!Heart