Trusted Contributor

The Crooked Staircase- feeling cheated!

Don’t you hate reading a book & having it end without finishing the story? I feel like I’ve wasted a couple days & there’s no closure. This is the 3rd book in this series. I guess I should have learned by now but really thought this one would wrap the storyline up. 

Without spoiling it for anyone let me just say I don’t mind if a book has a sequel. Finish one storyline & have an ending. If you want to have a new storyline with same characters that’s fine. But come up with a new plot or have a bad guy escape from prison or something to add a new twist to the story. This has been the same story for 3 books now. I want to see mother & son reunited and the bad guys put away. 

Maybe it would be okay if all the books in the series were published so you could read them without interruption. But when you wait months for next one to come out it’s just plain frustrating. I think I’m done with this series. 

What do you think when a book ends abruptly? 

Respected Contributor

Re: The Crooked Staircase- feeling cheated!

Oh, gosh.  I have this one sitting in my pile of books to read.  Some parts of these books have been good and other parts are the same ol' same ol'.  Sounds like this one is the latter.

Esteemed Contributor

Agree. Or when a lot of time is spent on an interesting character who fades away without another mention.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

Feel extremely cheated after I purchased a Patterson book on line and after almost 100 pages it ended where I thought it should have continued.

Turns out it was a “ Bookshot “.....be wary.  Feels like a reading scam.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

It makes me mad that Dean Koontz is streaching one  story over 5 books. Yep thats right there is 2 more I know of. The 4th comes out next week. I love the character but  he is trying to milk us for money I think.  I will not pay  $14.99  ever again.  I will hold off till the price drops below $10

Respected Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

Feel extremely cheated after I purchased a Patterson book on line and after almost 100 pages it ended where I thought it should have continued.

Turns out it was a “ Bookshot “.....be wary.  Feels like a reading scam.

I learned to pay attention to how many pages in book before buying. I bought a Koontz book for $1.99  and it turned out to be a short story to promote another book.  It was only  70 pages which i di dnot see thill later

Respected Contributor

@kcladyz

Why not get an elibrary card....free at local libraries and you can then access Cloud Library.  I finally took the leap and won’t pay for hardcover or paperback books again.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

It makes me mad that Dean Koontz is streaching one  story over 5 books. Yep thats right there is 2 more I know of. The 4th comes out next week. I love the character but  he is trying to milk us for money I think.  I will not pay  $14.99  ever again.  I will hold off till the price drops below $10

They're all close to 500 pages which is longer than most books.  It's more of a serial like a tv show, many authors do their series like this.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*