Honored Contributor

The Book of Lost Friends by Lisa Wingate

I highly recommend this book! It takes us to two time periods- post Civil War and 1987.  We meet the 1987 teacher, new to an impoverished southern Louisiana town, who is trying to reach her students. We meet three girls from the past who go on a journey reluctantly together : the pampered daughter of a plantation, her half-sister from New Orleans, and a former slave from that plantation.

I loved how the author tied the two time periods together, and the other characters in the book are interesting too. I was lucky to attend a virtual chat with the author! I am also very familiar with an area that could have been the same town in the book, but if I wasn't, Lisa's descriptions put you there. You can almost smell the flowers in the overgrown garden.

It's the first book I've read of hers, and now I want to read others!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Book of Lost Friends by Lisa Wingate

Sounds wonderful thank you @beach-mom 

Frequent Contributor

I loved this book!  It has become one of my all time favorites.  Another great book is The Hearth and Eagle by Anya Seton.

Trusted Contributor

I love this author and have read all of her books. This one is on my hold list at my local library.

Respected Contributor

Thank you @beach-mom I'm putting this on my list to read.  I'm always looking for good book suggestions.  My favorite topic on this forum is the monthly what are reading now.

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom  Thank you, I was wondering what book to read next and I think this is the one!

Honored Contributor

I love Lisa Wingate.  This book was on my holds list at the library when the shut down was going on.  A dear friend bought it and loaned me her copy back when it came out. Wonderful book.  If you read Before We Were Yours @beach-mom get ready for tears, sadness, and anger.  Some people cannot handle the pain of this book.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the recommendations! I've looked at the Amazon blurb for this book several times but was on the fence.

Will definitely try.

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone for your comments! @tobe - I will look into that book. I'm not that familiar with stories about New England, but I did see The Perfect Storm, and I think it would be interesting to learn more about the area and the people. @beckyb1012 - I definitely want to read this one next!  Smiley Happy