Honored Contributor

Re: The Best Books of 2018 (So Far)

Has anyone read "The Perfect Nanny":? It has good reviews!!!!!It is on my list as well as a few others from this list! Thanks for posting! 

Super Contributor

Listening to The Wife Between Us right now. Not my usual book but I am enjoying it

Super Contributor

I am going to give this one a try too. On waitlist

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Alter Egowrote:

@sunala I did think The Immortalists was strange, but really felt like it would be a good book to discuss.  Even if one only wanted to rip it apart!  I honestly can’t tell if you would like it or not.

It would not be a book I recommend unless I really know the person.

@Alter Ego- hi, I'm not sure if I'll enjoy it or not either. I read the first maybe 8 pages, and it seemed interesting. I don't know what I'll think if I keep reading.

I'm in a big slump right now. I am starting books and losing interest very quickly.  I pulled the bookmark on The Midnight Line by Lee Child, one of my favorite authors. I read about half the book and couldn't stand another second of them driving back and forth on the same road. I started The Impressionist, The Woman in the Window, and Sacred Time, an older book by Ursula Hegi, who wrote Stones from the River, which was one of my all-time favorite books. Nothing seems to hold my interest! 

I'm going to try to continue with The Impressionist, and see what happens. I pulled the bookmark on Midnight Line by Lee Child, one of my favorite authors. I read about half the book and couldn't stand another second of them driving back and forth on the same road! I started The Impressionist, The Woman in the Window, and Sacred Time, an older book by Ursula Hegi, who wrote Stones from the River, which was one of my all-time favorite books. Nothing seems to hold my interest! 

Enjoy whatever book you're reading!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

I agree with several others that The Woman in the Window is the most outstanding book I have read so far this year.

Respected Contributor

each of those books looks dreadful. I will not read any of them

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CANDLEQUEENwrote:

Has anyone read "The Perfect Nanny":? It has good reviews!!!!!It is on my list as well as a few others from this list! Thanks for posting! 

@CANDLEQUEEN- I certainly did and it was quite a read!

Did you know this is based on a true story that took place in NYC? As a matter of fact, the trial is going on as we speak. I remember when it happened and I was so sick to my stomach reading about it. I'm anxious to see how it progresses. I believe it can only go one way, but you never know.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN I put a request for it at the library but it has not come in yet?  Sounds like a god book though!

Honored Contributor

"The Story of Arthur Truluv" by Ellizabeth Berg. 

Loved it that much!  Thanks to all who recommended it, I would never have heard of it (or her) without this thread!

Respected Contributor

Thank you for sharing!

I'm almost never reading books in the year they were published.  Even when I do, it's usually at the end of the year because the Texas Book Festival happens late October - early November and that's when I go hear authors talk about the books they published that year and pick up a lot of new books.

I will add some of these books to my list and hopefully some of these authors will come to the festival this fall and I'll get to see them!