Trusted Contributor

I'm sure many readers here have heard of, and perhaps read, The Bell Jar.  I read an excerpt of it many years ago in Cosmo or some other lady's magazine. We're exploring it this month in book club, and I finished it last night .

I loved it, and couldn't put it down. Sylvia Plath's prose and descriptions are mesmerizing. As much as I loved the book though, I'm disturbed and feel almost depressed myself. It's disconcerting to contemplate how fragile the mind is.

Have you read this book? What did you think of it?

Honored Contributor

Re: The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath

oh yes, have read it several times, including once for school.

i am not sure i could read it again. yes, it is very depressing, very sad, and mirrored her real life.

of course, plaths real life was even more depressing and more sad.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I tried reading it a long time ago but couldn't finish. The book was too depressing and I doubt I'll try it again. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

Yes.   I read that, and A Separate Peace, and I am Third at about the same time.

It's pretty deep, but it's moving.  Reading and comprehending, I believe, are pivotal to building a better human.

Then I began to understand the eternal verities.  It helps me cope and enjoy and create my life.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

I remember reading it many years ago and although I don't remember much about the content, I do remember being left with similar feelings.  It is dark, and definitely well written to leave the reader with such an intimate empathetic response.

Respected Contributor

I read it several years ago and don't want to read it again, Too sad,

Honored Contributor

It's clever, with its very black humor.  It's an invaluable glimpse into her real life as a brilliant, conflicted college student with depression.

Her outlook in it is so bleak, that you almost need to take refuge in other literature or real-life escapes to get through it!  Still, it's a great document to have along with her more oblique poetry.

Super Contributor

I read this many years ago.  I still have the book.  May read it again now that you brought it up!  I can't remember too much about it because it's been years since I read it.