Honored Contributor

Only books for me

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

I've had a Kindle for over 10 years.  I prefer reading with the kindle app on my laptop or iPhone though - it's the only way I've read books the last half dozen years.  I use my laptop on my dining room table - have an angled padded holder for the iPad - I sit on my couch and use it. I have very long battery life on the iPad. I keep my laptop plugged in all the time.  I read on my phone too like when I'm waiting in a dr's office.

I buy my Kindle books from Amazon.  They have a rewards program now which is nice.  And Amazon offers other discounts on  digital purchases.  What I really love is that I can have a book immediately.

If you haven't already, check out BOOK BUB website.  They send you an email every day with ebook discount offers (and free) from Amazon, Barnes Noble, etc.  Offers are different every day.  The most expensive book I bought was an Anne Rice book for 2.99, part of the Mayfair Witches series.  

Valued Contributor

I wouldn't be without my Kindle, and my neighbor uses a tablet.  She told me about this cushioned stand from QVC.  It's great - has two slopes, one for reading in a chair and the steeper one for reclining on the couch or bed.  I've been using it for the last three years and highly recommend.

E313149

Esteemed Contributor

I have both but my preference is a book. I only use the Tablet for my life study group meetings, and when I travel. Although my latest trip I ended up taking a small book instead. 

I find the tablet annoying for a hosts of reasons. I hate having to keep checking to see how much battery life I have left. I hate not knowing how many pages you have left in the book. Yes, I know at the bottom it will tell you how many pages are left, but it's not the same. I can't get comfortable when I am reading with my tablet, etc. 

I obtain the majority of my books from the library so I am not cluttering up my home so it's not a problem for me to continue to utilize the library for all of my reading needs. The library system is just so convenient. You can request your books online, renew online, and more functions that I enjoy. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Tablet or book?

[ Edited ]

While I love the smell and feel of physical books, I have been reading on an iPad for about 12 years.

I live in rent, so having an iPad makes storing books easy. I also love that I can have my whole library with me on my iPad.

Finally, I am losing my vision, not easy for a former college professor. I can enlarge print sufficiently on my iPad still to read. (However, I have begun downloading audio books to my iPad to handle the day when physically reading becomes too challenging.) 

Valued Contributor
I agree, @KaliaS, love the feel and smell of a physical book.

A couple of weeks ago I found an old, 2016 Kindle Paperwhite that was misplaced years ago. It still works! Reading from that has been good for me since I can increase the font size. I hope it lasts awhile.

Also I love how easy it is to read books borrowed from the library since I'm disabled. Thank goodness for ereaders!
Trusted Contributor

I strongly prefer my Kindle Paperwhite.  I don't like reading on my laptop, phone, or tablet because of glare and size.  But I get newly published books from my local library in order to save money.  It's so easy to just click and buy, but I am being frugal these days and using the library. 

Respected Contributor

BOOK only!!

Super Contributor
Both!
The difference between reading on any Tablet
(which is a multimedia streaming device) and a Kindle
(Paperwhite) is huge.

The E-reader is made specifically for reading. I have 2000 ebooks in my Account, but downloaded about 100 onto the Kindle, so there's no need of wifi to read.

(the first 1000 books were from when ebooks were new and mostly FREE, so I DL everything ...most of which are terrible
and I'll never read! lol).

But my first love is books..the smell, the texture of the pages ,nthe thickness and weight in my hands.

So I alternate! After I finish an ebook, I will pick out a DT book from my 100' s....which makes me feel less guilty .
I can't seem to resist buying used PBs from Amazon, or grab a "new" HB from a big bin at Walmart for $5.

I just reread We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates
(a prolific writer) in paperback. I thought I already had read it, but I must have seen the movie because it was all a brand new story to me...again!

I make use of several Little Free Libraries in my area to
donate/exchange books too.
(an addict uses every resource available!) lol

(sorry so loooooooong)
Honored Contributor

A librarian will help you get Libby working properly, @songbird .