Respected Contributor

Susan Orlean’s The Library Book

I don’t usually post here, but I just finished this book and wanted to share. For anyone who loves the library or reading in general, I would highly recommend this. It’s about the Los Angeles public library and the large fire that occurred in 1986, but it’s about so much more. Fascinating people, events, books, library history(not dull LOL). It makes me want to explore more non-fiction.

Honored Contributor

Re: Susan Orlean’s The Library Book

@tucsongal  Thanks for reminding me about this book.  I need to put it on my library's list of books to read.

Honored Contributor

Non-fiction can sometimes be boring. Glad you found a book you can recommend.

Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

————————————

I think some parts will probably be of more interest than others to people but I found it all interesting 🙂. 

Honored Contributor

I also finished this book recently.  It’s not my usual type of book but I enjoyed it.   Learned so much about the history of libraries. 

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@AuntG  If it is well written, e.g. Stephen Ambrose, David McCullough, "truth is stranger than fiction" and much more interesting, IMO.

Honored Contributor

I read this book a while ago and loved it.  I have recommended it to many people and see their eyes glaze over when I say it is about the library system.  Ironically a friend who I recommended this book to recently sent me an email recommending it to me!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I read this, too, and found it very interesting.  I think it was recommend in this forum.  I don't usually read nonfiction and was so impressed my how this author told the story in such a compelling way.  

Edited to add:  I just checked and found my post about it in the January 2019 What are you Reading thread.  There were several posts about it last winter if you want to read what others thought.  

Frequent Contributor

Loved the book.  I heard Ms. Orlean interviewed by Alec Baldwin on one of his podcasts (Here's the Thing).  The book is being made into a tv movie.  Orlean, I believe is helping with the screen story.