Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA  LeFanu.  OMG.  "The Monkey's Paw" is everything.  (The Simpsons did that too LOL)..  

MR James is my fave, brilliant scholar, another innovator as well.   "O Whistle and I'll Come to You My Lad" is my fave. 

Also Mary Wilkins Freeman's "The Wind in the Rose-Bush."  Not ground-breaking but some of hers were and that one is so incredibly atmospheric.

I have a bunch of ghost stories my phone for sitting around waiting rooms but "The Wind in the Rose-Bushes" is on it, nothing heavy.  I have to make time to re-read LeFanu and also James..

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@LoriLori 

I have an "issue" regarding many American writers.  Generally prefer English writers.  But don't tell anyone that .... just between you and me.

---------------------------------

It was written on a typewriter (no PC back then) ... and didn't think to keep a copy.

Mary Wilkins Freeman is American.  New England, early 1900s.  Amid the spiritualist movement begun by the Fox sisters...

I HAVE to know your issue with the Americans (even Poe?).  Pretty please???  I promise not to tell.  

Honored Contributor

Some of Shirley Jackson's works are in the supernatural realm and I enjoyed reading them.