Honored Contributor

Stephen King's new book The Institute

[ Edited ]

I finally got this book today.  And I finished it.  All 500 plus pages of it.  And it was worth it!  It's amazing.  It's got plenty of kid power in it.  I love the way writes from a child's point of view. 

He got the idea for the book thinking of the thousand of children that go missing each year.  Most of them return, but thousands remain missing.  Basically two independent stories that will collide by the midway point of the book.  A very appealing Police Officer in one plot and an equaling appealing 12 year old kid with amazing gift and will to survive in another.

The book keeps you hooked from very beginning.  Never fizzels out and the ending is a ride and a half alone punch.

This is a stretch, but after finishing the read, I'm half wondering if there will be a sequel in the works way in the future.  Ala the novel IT, etc.  The Characters are that strong

Honored Contributor

Re: Stephen King's new book The Institute

Love Stephen King...he is genius.  Not only the creativity, but the use of language makes for a fun read!  Thanks, @songbird  I saw this at Costco and will pick it up.

Trusted Contributor

@songbird; @phoenixbrd I have been hesitant about reading this book as it almost sounded like it was a Young Adult novel. If not, I would love to read it!
Esteemed Contributor

@songbird , thanks for posting.  One of my favorite authors!  LM

Super Contributor

I was trying to decide whether or not to buy this book.  Normally like SK's books but couldn't decide about this one.  You made up my mind for me.  I'm getting it.

Honored Contributor

At 500 pages, can I assume it was written for adults?

Esteemed Contributor

@songbird    I have always liked Stephen King.  And based on your post I was about to order it.   However, when I read the reviews on Amazon ( which were very good BTW) I learned that he has thrown his political views into it .. that have nothing to do with the story.  As a result I will not be buying it.  

Honored Contributor

I want to read it! I like the fact that it isn't real scary like a lot of his other books/movies are...I really don't care about his political beliefs one way or the other.

Honored Contributor

@hooked on books wrote:
@songbird; @phoenixbrd I have been hesitant about reading this book as it almost sounded like it was a Young Adult novel. If not, I would love to read it!

Nohing young adult book about it!  This is Stephen King!  Way adult reading! Some of the characters are between 10-13 years old.  They are in danger, and yeah some of them get killed.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AuntG wrote:

At 500 pages, can I assume it was written for adults?

Yes.  A books size has nothing to do with if it's a young adult, adult, etc.  Stephne King is n adult mega horror writer and fantasy writer.   This is a big novel. Two majors stories that merget half way through.