Respected Contributor

I finally read it even tho I bought it ages ago. Has to be his best book yet.  Perfect ending. I love the role of the boy and how God worked threw him  and made him a hero. I highly reccomend!

Honored Contributor

Re: Stephen King Despiration

I'll check out the synopsis on Amazon. Thanks for mentioning it.

Respected Contributor

Thanks - that's one of his I haven't read.  Glad you liked it.

Esteemed Contributor

I use to be a huge Stephen King Fan. This was back int he 80's and 90"s when I would go out to the bookstore and purchase those expensive hardback books. I was done with him after Tommy Knockers. 

Contributor

This book was first published in 1996.  Being a lifelong Stephen King fan I thought this book had somehow slipped past me.   I looked it up on amazon and I realized I had read it in hardcover it was two books in one. Desperation by Stephen King and The Regulators by Richard Bachman. AKA Stephen King. After you finished one you turned it upside down and started at the back to read the other one.  Since one was 700 pages and one 450 pages this was a giant book.  This was 22 years ago when I was a lot stronger and had young wrists and could handle a book this size.  The Regulators was a prequel to Desperation.  Both are stories about Faith and Hope.  The names of the characters are the same but the people are not.  One takes place on a highway the other on a street in an Ohio neighborhood.  I didn't think either one was his best work but if I had the time and reread them, being older, I might appreciate them more.  Back in the 90's when King was having fun pretending there really was a Richard Bachman, very much tongue in cheek, I think he had started The Regulators as Richard and using that he wrote Desperation as Stephen. He used the name Richard Backman for his earliest books he wrote in college, before he acquired fame for his first Book Carrie.  I think the idea for Desperation came from The Regulators but he liked both story lines and published them as a two for and let the readers decide which they liked best. They are different stories but with the same message.  I liked The Regulators best it had less pages and I like the street in a neighborhood better than the town setting. Gotta love Stephen King.  Sonia

Respected Contributor

The Regulators I believe s not a prequel  but story happening at the same time in two universes