Regular Contributor

Re: Spouse Asked Me To Pick Out A Book For Him

I did not know that any of this happened until I read this book.  (Which is kind of sad that I did not know.)  The book is about both the deaths/murders of the Osage Native Americans and the development of the FBI to investigate it all.  I thought the book was well written.  The writing style is straightforward and the chapters were well organized, making the book enjoyable to read.

I understand that Martin Scorsese is directing the movie version of this book.  It will reportedly star Leonardo DiCaprio and Robert de Niro.  Supposed to be released next year but who knows about the date given the pandemic.

All that said -- a very good book that I find most folks enjoy.

Esteemed Contributor

Yikes, I would never have dared to try this for DH.  Books are so very personal.  

Honored Contributor

Men to Match My Mountains by Irving Stone

I've given umpteen copies to men as gifts.  This is a novel that describes the settlement of the West.  Once I started it, I couldn't put it down.  It's the only book I've read numerous times.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Michael Koryta, Paul Doiron, William Kent Krueger, C.J. Box, Alex Kava, Brian Freeman, Michael Connelly, Nelson DeMille... just some of the audio books hubs orders from local library. I remember the names because I do a lot of the library runs.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@AuntG My husband and a friend always read Lee Child's Jack Reacher books.  I love Daniel Silva's Gabriel Allon series!

For a change of pace David McCullough writes wonderful books and has a wide range of topics, so you might check those out.

Doris Kearns Goodwin wrote Wait Until Next Year which is: Set in the suburbs of New York in the 1950s, Wait Till Next Year re-creates the postwar era, when the corner store was a place to share stories and neighborhoods were equally divided between Dodger, Giant, and Yankee fans.

Has he read the old James Michner books?  Those are spell binding to me--at least some.  And Edward Rutherford's books are good if you are interested in the area.  I loved Sarum--one of my favorites.

Just tossing these out for a change of pace.  

Yes of course .. the Mitchner books ...loved them ....

Regular Contributor

Can't imagine a man alive who wouldn't love the John Sanford Lucas Davenport series!😃. I mean, the guy has a Porsche, for heavens sake!  There is murder, intrique, handmade Italian shoes...what's not to love?  His Virgil Flowers series is good as well...  please please give it a try...

Respected Contributor

I liked the Nelson De Mille books also ....

Esteemed Contributor

@dodies Yes - forgot about J.Sanford novels. We enjoy those as well. Audios are fun for road trips.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Contributor

I would recommend Clive Cussler.  While many of his books feature the same characters in different adventures, you can pick up any of them and not feel lost.  There's enough background or extra info that you enjoy the story, but not too much for those who have read the other stories.  Almost like gentle reminders, etc.  

While at the lake several summers ago, my (adult) son finished a King book he was reading and was like "Mom, what do you have for me to read, you always have books tucked away!"  I threw him a Cussler book and said "try this..."  He was completely hooked and has probably read at least 10 Cussler books now.  Thouroghly enjoyable!

Respected Contributor

Robert Parker writes Jessie Stone series as well as Spencer series and many others. Fast light and very 

enjoyable reading.