Respected Contributor

Re: Since the Pandemic, I Can't Read

I do NOT watch any news on tv and this helps me. I find the visuals that are shown on tv really get to me. If I want any “virus” news I will read from webmd and other sites to get information. Mindless tv does help for a few hours. Shopping online for household supplies to be delivered is also a distraction. To answer your original question, no I am not reading as much as I usually do, but i’m trying. I honestly believe everyone out there is trying to help. No one wants this to continue.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm with @SWEET  and @stevieb  on this one.  I seem to be able to somewhat keep up my usual routines.  Reading is really a nice distraction for me.  It takes my mind off of everything else.  I am too, very sympathetic as to what is going on but I am thankful that I am able to function  normally.   Not that I never feel a little anxiety but I think it's always important to be positive and happy in your own space.  A nice walk on a sunny day and fresh air is also good therapy.  Be well. 

Honored Contributor

I love to read, and I'm reading even more now.  

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@patbz wrote:

@stevieb :  I have been multi tasking (reading, watching news and shopping on Amazon).  No danger of running out of books as I use my Fire to read.  Currently reading Erik Larson's latest (about Churchill's first two years as Prime Minister).

@patbz  Would you believe I've never installed a book app on my tablet... I prefer actual books and to this point I've never needed to, but now, I've been thinking of doing so and availing myself of several free and reduced cost offers I have from Amazon for books and other materials...  I've pretty much given up watching any and all news... I figure when something worth knowing breaks, we're all going to hear about it somehow and until then all they're doing is making themselves and everybody else crazy...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Me, too.  Last pm, I was semi successful and read several chapters.  But, just like most nights, I woke at 3:30 and had lots of trouble getting back to sleep.  Ugh..

Esteemed Contributor

Love my paperwhite, have the free app and books from the library, and a list of tagged items a mile long.  Just can't sometimes.

I seem to turn to crosswords more often.  They leave less room for mind-wondering.

This is a hard time.

Esteemed Contributor

I have no problem with reading. I like getting involved in a good story. It makes me forget my problems momentarily. I don't know what I would do without my Kindle.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

I usually listen to Audibles in my car and, even though I do still need to drive a couple days a week, I just can’t. Much prefer to listen to music.

But, because I wasn’t listening to my books, I tried reading something on my Kindle. And I struggled to get through it. I don’t watch a lot of news and I think I’m in a really great place mentally during this quarantine. But...still no.

I was thinking that maybe it’s because the books I normally read aren’t feel good happy books.
Trusted Contributor

I'm still reading but it's at night (sometimes late into the night) when I can concentrate best. During the day my mind easily wanders so I catch up on my magazines and newspaper then. I used to be able to read a book all day but as others have posted, can't do that now. I think most of us have so many things to worry about and absorb on a daily basis and the concentration level just isn't there! I really look forward to getting into bed with my book now although DH doesn't enjoy the light being on for hours and hours, LOL, LOL!
Honored Contributor

@FastDogWalker2 wrote:

Me, too.  Last pm, I was semi successful and read several chapters.  But, just like most nights, I woke at 3:30 and had lots of trouble getting back to sleep.  Ugh..

I'm there too. My sleep patterns have been more or less whacked now for weeks...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...