Esteemed Contributor

Since the Pandemic, I Can't Read

[ Edited ]

No matter how I try, I can't concentrate enough to read a full page. I've started at least a dozen books, reading a few pages, and then my eyes glaze. It's not that I'm sick, but I just can't put my mind into a book no matter how I try.

I even started Redhead on the Side of the Road by Anne Tyler, one of my all time favorite authors. The book is good and it has the best characters. I read some of it, but then I had to stop. This is how I go, all day long.

I'm trying to limit my news-watching. That aggravates me a great deal. Living in New York, there is so much death and misery. Ordinarily I'd be happy to have so much time to read, but it's just not working for me.

How do you all feel about reading at this time?

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

Re: Since the Pandemic, I Can't Read

@sunala I'm having the same problem. I think I've only finished two books in the last month or so. 

I'm binge watching older TV programs that I can get on "free channels"  - TV is so totally not me.  I used to go a few weeks without watching it. 

Honored Contributor

I'm a heavy reader and am relying on books now more than ever as a distraction. Unfortunately, with libraries closed, I'm having to clean out the dregs of books I had on hand, delving into stored books, most of which I'd sort of decided weren't 'worthy' of reading... Fortunately, I've come up with a stack that might not be among my current choices, but are proving to be interesting enough to wade through. There have even been a few pleasant surprises that turned out to be much better than anticipated...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb :  I have been multi tasking (reading, watching news and shopping on Amazon).  No danger of running out of books as I use my Fire to read.  Currently reading Erik Larson's latest (about Churchill's first two years as Prime Minister).

Respected Contributor

@sunala 

I had to stop watching so much news coverage as well as avoid the community chat here. I saw a report about the nurses in New York and it ripped my heart out.

I was able to get in a better place by limiting some of the virus information and misinformation.

Hope things will get better for you.

doxie

Honored Contributor

@sunala -

It's nice to know I'm not the only one.

I usually read 2 books a week, and love reading but I've been the same.

Just can't concentrate and the usual books I've gotten from the library, a book borrowing place at church, I don't have right now.

So I reread my favorite books that I have. And they are comforting, but yes a few pages and then I finally get to sleep. And they are all fiction.

I don't really want to read any non- fiction right now.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

I mentioned this on the what you have read thread not too long ago. I just can't read like I use to. I am an avid reader, this year I may have read four books?? This was before the pandemic really got crazy. I just can't concentrate long enough to get into books.  I have went back to books that I have already read that are on my shelf, and I read a few pages, and stop. I just can't...  I have cut way back on how much news I watch daily.

I have been telecommuting from home, so during the day I work with the music on and fresh air coming in the front door, then when I stop in the evening, I pretty much plant myself on my couch and alternate between the news and whatever TV show I happen to be currently engrossed in. Lately it has been Blue Bloods. 

I can't believe that I have no desire to read. 

Honored Contributor

Being in NY has to be especially tough now.  Stay safe.

I haven't been able to focus on reading a lot of days.  I decided not to pressure myself since we're all under enough pressure with the pandemic.  I read for a little bit and stop.  It is what it is right now.

Count your lucky stars that you have a governor who is involved, wants the best for people, and is willing to speak out.  I live in a state where the governor and lots of people still think the virus is a hoax and will disappear in April. Our governor is more worried about the economy than all the sick and dying.

I have to limit my news watching too.  And I turn to non-news station when the man who plays a doctor on tv speaks.   I'd rather get my information from an actual expert. I want facts and rely expert epidemiologists for that.

I also avoid Dr Oz and Dr Phil since both have been on a tv channel saying there has to be a balance between the economy and deaths.  Tell that to the sick, dying, and their families!  

I don't know where in NY you live so walking or being outside may or may not be an option. 

I have a big yard so I've spent a lot of time there on nice days. I go into a very calm and zoned out mode when working in the yard.  I have several large trees and it took days to clean up the yard after winter.  

I walk with my dog several times a day.  We may pace my street or we go to a nearby large cemetery and walk the roads there.   I have a friend and she and her dog walk there too.  She's on one side of the street and I'm on the other, 12+ feet apart.  It's great to see and talk to someone.  We've both been cooped up at home for weeks. 

A grocery chain my my part of the country now offers free delivery to those over 60 or at higher risk.  I even got my 88 yr old dad to do this.  It's been a godsend.

Peace to you.  Stay safe.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm sympathetic to all those who can't read or concentrate on reading during the COVID.  Maybe it's just me, but it's the usual for me in reading and everything else.  Probably because my life hasn't changed.  I try not to watch the news that much (our local news is 3 hrs long and it's 3 hours of pandemic). 

This doesn't mean I'm not worried or sympathetic about it nor feel bad for people who have died,  the first responders or people who have it or for the small businesses or unemployed.

I don't go out much and have limited socialization anyway so it's my norm.

Stay well and stay safe.

Esteemed Contributor

I was born in NYC and now I live in NJ. I only listen for a few mintues to get the data and the updated news from the doctors and the scientists. I find a half hour walk helps me to cope with all that is going on. I find I can read and relax after. Trust that things will get better. Everyone is working on that to happen. Hope this helps.