Trusted Contributor

Re: Since the Pandemic, I Can't Read

@sunala  I am just the opposite.  I have always been an avid reader however, since the pandemic, I have been reading non stop. I have read about 20 books since the pandemic started.  I have been getting books from B&N like crazy!  Maybe there is just too much on your mind right now to concentrate on reading a book.  I totally understand. I love to read because it helps me forget everything and get lost in the story.  Your love of reading will return. I'm sure of it!

Esteemed Contributor

@LuvmyLab wrote:

@sunala  I am just the opposite.  I have always been an avid reader however, since the pandemic, I have been reading non stop. I have read about 20 books since the pandemic started.  I have been getting books from B&N like crazy!  Maybe there is just too much on your mind right now to concentrate on reading a book.  I totally understand. I love to read because it helps me forget everything and get lost in the story.  Your love of reading will return. I'm sure of it!

@LuvmyLab- thank you! I have my moods, up and down. Sometimes I can't stop reading, and other times I don't even want to open the Kindle. Yesterday I finished reading The Falling Woman, and gave it five stars. It was really a wonderful book, and I read it in a few days because I just couldn't put it down!

Yes I do have a lot on my mind now, but I hope that this too shall pass and things will go back to the way they were before this nightmare. Thanks so much for your concern!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Valued Contributor

Since March 15th, when everything closed down, I have ordered 52 times from various book sellers, usually buying three or four books at a time.

To answer your question then - I am reading more than ever and enjoying my books every single day.

Esteemed Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@stevieb :  I have been multi tasking (reading, watching news and shopping on Amazon).  No danger of running out of books as I use my Fire to read.  Currently reading Erik Larson's latest (about Churchill's first two years as Prime Minister).

@patbz- thank you for reminding me of Erik Larson. I did enjoy In the Garden of Beasts and want to read several more of his books. I'm part way through Isaac's Storm and enjoying it, except there's a bit too much technical weather information for me. I won't give up on it because the best parts are yet to come, with the Hurricane of 1900 that hit Galveston, which is what this book is basically about. Happy reading and i hope you're a little more focused in reading. I'm still trying.

Esteemed Contributor

@sunala :  I think his best book is "Devil in the White City", about a serial killer in the vicinity of the Chicago Worlds Fair.

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@sunala :  I think his best book is "Devil in the White City", about a serial killer in the vicinity of the Chicago Worlds Fair.

@patbz @sunala  I agree that this is a good book. True story also.

Honored Contributor

@sunala   I hope that mood for you has passed.  This life situation has got me back to reading!!  I have all kinds of cookbooks that I have read like novels, but now my tastes are diffferent in some books.

I'm getting books for wintery weather-stay-in-the-house-type books.  

Two others are political, so I won't go there.

Hope you're feeling better now.

Respected Contributor

Patbz, I agree with you about Larson's best book.

I just finished re-reading it. My older son and I are going to be discussing it.

There's so much there!

Esteemed Contributor

Well, I've had my ups and downs with my reading, but sadly I've been on a real low down lately.  I think I've started at least six books that I've only read at most a chapter, but mostly only a few pages. I just can't get into them no matter how much I want to read these books.

I know some of them would be my cup of tea, but I'm just not interested in any of them.  My Kindle is filled with new books by authors I always enjoy, but I can't get into them.

I guess this too shall pass, but in the meantime until it does, I'm watching old movies I've really enjoyed over the years, and rewatching The Sopranos yet AGAIN. I bought the entire series on eBay and I've been watching them every day.  Last night I watched Falling in Love, a movie from the 1980's with Meryl Streep and Robert DeNiro as two lovers who meet on a commuter train. I loved it to pieces when it first came out, and now it's almost 40 years later and I still love it.  I've also watched Rosemary's Baby (again probably for the 20th time), as well as Diary of a Mad Housewife and a few new series on Netflix. It's almost like I'm looking to waste time, but not read.

I pray that this craziness goes away but I'm not expecting it to any time soon, at least not until they find a vaccine which could take a year or more.

I'm going to try to read tonight. I hope you're all reading wonderful books to share with us. Good luck!