Respected Contributor

Re: Since the Pandemic, I Can't Read

[ Edited ]

@sunala wrote:

@SWEET wrote:

I'm sympathetic to all those who can't read or concentrate on reading during the COVID.  Maybe it's just me, but it's the usual for me in reading and everything else.  Probably because my life hasn't changed.  I try not to watch the news that much (our local news is 3 hrs long and it's 3 hours of pandemic). 

This doesn't mean I'm not worried or sympathetic about it nor feel bad for people who have died,  the first responders or people who have it or for the small businesses or unemployed.

I don't go out much and have limited socialization anyway so it's my norm.

Stay well and stay safe.

@SWEETwhat about groceries? You don't go shopping for food? We actually pay someone to shop for us because we are in quarantine mode and won't go out, especially to stores, until we feel it's safe, which may be never.

I'm able to read a little more these days, although I finished a book yesterday and discovered I'd already read it in 2016 LOL That's so dumb of me!!  I didn't have a clue I'd read it duhhhh

Stay safe and healthy!

@sunala 

Hubby goes shopping for food and always did.  I'm sort of incapacitated with my knee problems and back problems.

Glad you're getting back into reading even though you already read it.  LOL.  That's why I use GR to see what I've read before starting a book.

Stay safe and well also PLEASE.

Respected Contributor

So glad I saw this topic. I have been a HUGE reader since ...well since I could read....and I am having the same problem. I start a book and just drift away and...well you know. Can't concentrait on plot or characters, I miss important clues (Nancy Drew for escape literature) etc. Nice to see it's not just me going crazy from isolation. Thanks for poisting this!

Esteemed Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@SWEET wrote:

I'm sympathetic to all those who can't read or concentrate on reading during the COVID.  Maybe it's just me, but it's the usual for me in reading and everything else.  Probably because my life hasn't changed.  I try not to watch the news that much (our local news is 3 hrs long and it's 3 hours of pandemic). 

This doesn't mean I'm not worried or sympathetic about it nor feel bad for people who have died,  the first responders or people who have it or for the small businesses or unemployed.

I don't go out much and have limited socialization anyway so it's my norm.

Stay well and stay safe.

@SWEETwhat about groceries? You don't go shopping for food? We actually pay someone to shop for us because we are in quarantine mode and won't go out, especially to stores, until we feel it's safe, which may be never.

I'm able to read a little more these days, although I finished a book yesterday and discovered I'd already read it in 2016 LOL That's so dumb of me!!  I didn't have a clue I'd read it duhhhh

Stay safe and healthy!

@sunala 

Hubby goes shopping for food and always did.  I'm sort of incapacitated with my knee problems and back problems.

Glad you're getting back into reading even though you already read it.  LOL.  That's why I use GR to see what I've read before starting a book.

Stay safe and well also PLEASE.

@SWEET-  I'm sorry you have many health problems. Fortunately you've got a sweetie for a husband who takes care of everything.

It was really stupid of me to read that book a second time. All I can say is "duh," and I DO USE GOODREADS, plus I have my marble notebook with all my books listed, plus my list on Word with all the books I've read, and the books I want to read. But I still managed to read that book over again lol

Yesterday I finished The Elephant in the Room, by Tommy Tomlinson, an autobiography of a man who has gone through life at over 500 pounds. What a dear man he is, and thankfully he is losing weight, hopefully for the last time. I really enjoyed this book.

I'm now reading the newest David Baldacci book, Walk the Wire. It's the 6th book in the Amos Decker series. So far so good.

Enjoy your weekend and happy reading!!! xoxox

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Even though I have not read anything in the past two days, I have started back up with my reading. I am rereading books that I have already read,  it's just my comfort place right now.

I am going to wait until the June thread to list the books. 

Esteemed Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

Even though I have not read anything in the past two days, I have started back up with my reading. I am rereading books that I have already read,  it's just my comfort place right now.

@icezeus- only a few days until June. I don't think I have a comfort place right now, except my bed where I read, watch television and talk on the phone.

I just glanced out the window and I can see how the leaves have just exploded on the trees in the last few days. It seems like the trees were naked last time I looked, and now they're bright green and beautiful! Time is flying by, isn't it?

I'm looking forward to seeing your book list for June. Happy reading!

Respected Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

@icezeus- only a few days until June. I don't think I have a comfort place right now, except my bed where I read, watch television and talk on the phone.

I just glanced out the window and I can see how the leaves have just exploded on the trees in the last few days. It seems like the trees were naked last time I looked, and now they're bright green and beautiful! Time is flying by, isn't it?

I'm looking forward to seeing your book list for June. Happy reading!

@sunala 

I do all of my reading and watching tv in bed also.  Only comfy place for me and always will be. 

I can't believe it's almost June and just turned on the ac for the first time.  The humidity is awful here.  I've been managing 100+ pages a day w/Meg & Jo (modern retelling of the 2 girls from Little Women).  Her next one about Beth and Amy comes out next year.  Can't wait.

Super Contributor

This is so interesting. I'm not having a problem now. In fact, my granddaughter and I went to the library in the afternoon a few weeks ago and later that afternoon it closed to the public. It is still closed but we were lucky enough to have fresh books. I went through a similar thing several years ago when my father passed away. I think of it as a form of PTSD. It took me probably about 3 years before I could actually concentrate to read more than a page or two in a magazine. Now I can have a couple books going at the same time without any problem. I'm sorry so many are having this problem and hopefully when things get more normal in the world, your ability to enjoy books again will return.

Esteemed Contributor

@grandkidsrgreat wrote:

This is so interesting. I'm not having a problem now. In fact, my granddaughter and I went to the library in the afternoon a few weeks ago and later that afternoon it closed to the public. It is still closed but we were lucky enough to have fresh books. I went through a similar thing several years ago when my father passed away. I think of it as a form of PTSD. It took me probably about 3 years before I could actually concentrate to read more than a page or two in a magazine. Now I can have a couple books going at the same time without any problem. I'm sorry so many are having this problem and hopefully when things get more normal in the world, your ability to enjoy books again will return.

@grandkidsrgreat- thanks for sharing your experiences with us. I don't recall having reading problems after my parents passed away, but this particular time is really doing a number on me. Either I'm just not enjoying the books I'm selecting (which is a possiblity), or my mind can't seem to focus on reading. Or maybe it's a combination of both. I just finally removed the latest David Baldacci book from my Kindle. I was really looking forward to reading it. Maybe another time and maybe I'll pick a different book. Happy reading to you!

Trusted Contributor

@sunala wrote:

No matter how I try, I can't concentrate enough to read a full page. I've started at least a dozen books, reading a few pages, and then my eyes glaze. It's not that I'm sick, but I just can't put my mind into a book no matter how I try.

I even started Redhead on the Side of the Road by Anne Tyler, one of my all time favorite authors. The book is good and it has the best characters. I read some of it, but then I had to stop. This is how I go, all day long.

I'm trying to limit my news-watching. That aggravates me a great deal. Living in New York, there is so much death and misery. Ordinarily I'd be happy to have so much time to read, but it's just not working for me.

How do you all feel about reading at this time?

OMGosh-me too!  I cant concentrate at all and all of my life, I've been wishing for more time to read.  No focus, no attention spanSmiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@buyornot wrote:

@sunala wrote:

No matter how I try, I can't concentrate enough to read a full page. I've started at least a dozen books, reading a few pages, and then my eyes glaze. It's not that I'm sick, but I just can't put my mind into a book no matter how I try.

I even started Redhead on the Side of the Road by Anne Tyler, one of my all time favorite authors. The book is good and it has the best characters. I read some of it, but then I had to stop. This is how I go, all day long.

I'm trying to limit my news-watching. That aggravates me a great deal. Living in New York, there is so much death and misery. Ordinarily I'd be happy to have so much time to read, but it's just not working for me.

How do you all feel about reading at this time?

OMGosh-me too!  I cant concentrate at all and all of my life, I've been wishing for more time to read.  No focus, no attention spanSmiley Sad

@buyornot  - the good news is that I'm able to read much easier now. If I see my mind wandering, I shut off the kindle and watch television or play on the computer. There's always something else to do that I enjoy.