Respected Contributor

Re: Since the Pandemic, I Can't Read

The first few days of being locked down, I was kind of lost. I have a very busy schedule, with loads of commitments. Now there was. . .nothing.

But, I did get over it. Having read books I needed to (for a class I was teaching, for a couple book clubs. . .), I turned to the hundreds of other books I've bought over time.

I AM LOVING IT. So many wonderful plots and great writing. I've always loved reading, but now it is an extra pleasure.

I'm enjoying the wealth.

Honored Contributor

While I don't read nearly as much as I used to, I blame it on my tablet (such a time waster). A secondary issue might be a shortened attention span as I age. My bookshelf contains a bunch of paperback mysteries that I vowed to read now that the library is closed - haven't cracked one open yet. 

Respected Contributor

I did better when I stopped watching the news. @sunala 

I started Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng. So far, I'm hooked!📚👍🏻😍

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunala   I thought it was just me! I finished a book and returned it to the library to pick up one on hold (Dutch House). The library had closed an hour earlier and will remain closed awhile. 
  I read "The five people you meet in Heaven" that I had on my book shelf. Then couldn't get interested in others. They didn't seem important. 
  I installed Libby so I can get e books now from the library for my I pad. I'm reading one so  I'll fall asleep. Something about a hypnotist. I can't even recall the name.

Our whole world has changed so much that the stories in books just don't seem as important. But I'll finish this one, then find another!

Honored Contributor

@sunala 

You're not alone.

I've found that I can read more pages while I'm sitting down at lunch with the book (or Kindle) propped open in front of me.  

It reminds me of when I was working, I could read with more focus while commuting on the train since that situation forced me to stay in one spot.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Regular Contributor

Our state has been under the Stay at Home Order for 5 weeks now. At the beginning, I couldn't concentrate on anything reading-wise. I allowed myself to get caught up in the panic of the pandemic and it gave me such anxiety. I quickly realized that I needed something comfortable to fall into and reading has always been my solace. I started by re-reading a favorite and that opened the door to other books, but only historical fiction and fantasy. I couldn't do anything that slightly resembled reality. It was too hard to think about how the world has changed and the uncertainty of if and when life may return to normal. 

It took me almost 2 weeks to find my stride again, but my reading life has returned to normal. I am even branching back out into realistic fiction again!   

I hope everyone is doing well and staying home and staying safe!

Trusted Contributor

@sunala I downloaded Redhead on the Side of the Road.. I'm only about 20 pages in but it is peaking my interest.  Will let you know.   

Respected Contributor

I've been reading before bed, but what I read has changed. I normally read a lot of non-fiction about politics and that's not something I want to read about now. I've been reading a lot of cozy mysteries. While I read, I listen to the soundscapes from the Calm app, like a lake or a train.

When I was too upset to read a few years ago, I turned to old favorites for comfort. I read Winnie the Pooh and old favorites by Robert B Parker and Carl Hiaasen. I normally don't read books more than once because there are too many unread books to read, but it brought me a lot of comfort and helped me transition back into new books.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@FastDogWalker2 wrote:

Me, too.  Last pm, I was semi successful and read several chapters.  But, just like most nights, I woke at 3:30 and had lots of trouble getting back to sleep.  Ugh..

I'm there too. My sleep patterns have been more or less whacked now for weeks...

What is it about 3:30 a.m.?  I either read or listen to a podcast until, hopefully, I fall back asleep for a bit.

Trusted Contributor

I live in west Michigan so our weather is still too unpredictable for garden planting. Thus, I am spending lots of time yet in my reading cave. Going through about one book every 2 days. Most are read on my Kindle, either from my own stash of books that I've downloaded but never read or ones that I borrow from Libby. I do have a stash of physical books and are reading those also. My town's library is doing a cool thing. Outside their entrance, they have put big plastic totes filled with their used books that would normally be put in their used book sale. They are free to take or you may add a donation of your own. You can return it when finished or not. They are just asking that you wear gloves when going through the totes and to disinfect an article before bringing it back. A retired schoolteacher had included a tote filled with school supplies no longer used. Lots of options to get us through this mess.