Respected Contributor

SPOILER ALERT A World of Curiosities, Louise Penny

Hello readers,

If you have not read or finished A World of Curiosities, SPOILERS AHEAD.

I just finished this book.  Those of you who read the book will be aware of the references to the mass shootings at Ecole Polytechnique.  Louise Penny discusses them in her Author's Notes at the end of the book.  This happened in Quebec, 14 women killed and 14 more people injured (10:women, 4 men).  It rocked the country.

I am Canadian, from east coast Nova Scotia.  I believe she based the character of John Fleming on a murderer from the Province of New Brunswick, Alan Legere.  She makes no reference to it in the notes but the case is so similar that it is hard not to make the connection.  I remember the fear in the community when he escaped.  He was known as the Monster of Miramichi.  See link below or Google Alan Legere, Monster of Miramichi.

It was a bit eerie reading the book after I made the connection but then some of the best fiction is based on comparisons in real life.  I thought A World of Curiosities was one of the better ones in her series.  LM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/allan-legere-monster-of-the-miramichi-parole-1.5871123

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SPOILER ALERT A World of Curiosities, Louise Penny

I just finished reading and agree that it’s one of the better ones. Something I like about her books is that I learn about something I hadn’t known before - in this case, I was googling the painting and Dicken’s tavistock letter.

There were admittedly some items I had issue with - was Fiona, who was apparently such a big deal over the years - ever brought up in prior books? Was Myrna’s niece? Was the John Fleming storyline even realistic?

But regardless, it had less Jean-Guy and the reintroduction of Amelia Choquet.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom1   I've read a bit about the Ecole Polytechnique.  This was a school for engineering.  The shooter apparently had it in for women.....all women.  He certainly targeted them. I think at one point he separated the men from the women.  I believe this happened in Quebec.  Engineering was and still is a major that few women ever take.  Whenever I hear about the case, I'm reminded of a student worker of mine.  She graduated with a BS degree in Physics.  But if you want to work in Physics, you need at least a Masters (preferably a higher degree)  She was more enthusiastic then accomplished.  It was too hard for her to find work, so she became a engineer.  Physics was tough, but to her engineering was a piece of cake. Anyway, she's been working fine since her graduation.  The only women and still the only women in her job as an engineer.  Makes pretty good money too. My husband by the way is a senior electronic engineer.  And during his college days, long before there was high tech.  Engineering was considered the lone technology.

Respected Contributor

@Alter Ego , for me this harkens back to her earlier books.  Now that we are familiar with her writing style,it is a bit more predictable.  A good book!  LM

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird , I worked in a profession where I was most often the only woman in the room.  It can be isolating but I was so busy I never had time to dwell on that.  LM

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Alter Ego  Even though I did enjoy this book, more than some of her others, I had some of the same questions about it that you did.  Characters that were suddenly introduced.  And the John Fleming story line was not completely credible.  I did like that the basis for the story was a real event.   

Amelia Choquet is a great character.