Esteemed Contributor

Re: SO, HOW OR WHERE DO YOU GET MOST OF YOUR BOOKS?

@teganslaw wrote:

I download library books to my Kindle for free. They're on loan for three weeks. I have a collection of books I ordered throughout the years, but now I mostly use my Kindle.

@teganslaw- I do the same exact thing as you. I get all my ebooks from the library. I'm noticing that there are now very long wait lists for the new ebooks. I mean like I'd have to wait up to 3 months for a book!

I am finding that I've been reading older books. I don't mean "old" but older like a few months old. There's no waitlist and I can read them right away. I also like to check out my own TBR list, which I've been keeping for so many years I can't even say when I started it. I'll find a book that's maybe ten years old, and sometimes I love it and wonder why I hadn't read it sooner. I'm trying to get out of the habit of going directly for the newest books.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

Amazon, when I know exactly what I want, and airport or local bookstores when I’m just browsing. 

Honored Contributor

I used to buy books from Amazon but since I retired I make good use of the library.

Esteemed Contributor

I buy mine on Amazon and only hardcover.   I like the feel of a harcover book.  I hope my kids/grandkids appreciate all my books when I'm gone Smiley Happy

Contributor

I have gotten quite a few great deals from Bookoutlet.com

I would not order a gift from there as they mark the book with a pen (usually just a dot or small line), but for personal use the deals are great and they have all been in great condition so far.  

Respected Contributor

Amazon, Audible, the local bookstore, and the Book Festival.

Most everything I read is digital and I usually only buy paper books when I'm getting them signed by the author. Then I buy a digital copy to read. 

I was unemployed for a couple of months after a layoff and signed up for Freebooksy, a service that sent me a daily list of free ebooks. I downloaded dozens of free books that way. Most weren't great, but they were perfect for that time because they were light and fluffy. Normally I read a lot of non-fiction and books about politics and the justice system, so while I was looking for a job, it was nice to have some free fluffy books to read.

I actually spent a lot of time in the local libraries while I was looking for a job, but it was wasn't for the books. I went there with my computer to fill out job applications, update my resume, etc. We have a brand new central library in my city and I also went to several networking events held in their event space. Going to the library ensured I showered, dressed, and got things done and I didn't have to buy a $5 coffee to occupy a space. I love libraries.

Honored Contributor

We also buy used books from the local library, and then donate them to the library at the VA Medical Center.   

Respected Contributor

Internet Archive, OPEN LIBRARY

ebooks all the way for me.

The above is where I read 99.5% of books - on my laptop. I don't know what I'd do w/out that site.

Just sign up, & read. It's totally free....though I do contribute once/year.

Muddling through...
Esteemed Contributor

I am very lazy in my retirement. I order all my books from amazon. They keep track of what I’ve ordered in the past and allow me to pre-order books from my favorite authors.

Honored Contributor

Amazon.  Whether I borrow or buy, my books go right to my Kindle.  On the rare occasions that I want a real book, I also get it from Amazon.  It's just so quick and easy.