Esteemed Contributor

Re: SEPTEMBER 2023 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

@Carolina925 

Sounds like a good read. I have added to my TBR list. 

Honored Contributor

Finally finished Escape by James Patterson, it was ok-nothing special! Not like some of his other books!

I am now reading On A Quiet Street, by a new author for me her name is Seraphina Nova Glass. I just started, but it starts off quite interesting!

Respected Contributor

@icezeus , make sure you have Kleenex ready.

Respected Contributor

@Janey2 , according to the preface, there was also a BBC radio play, The Day the Planes Came; a CBC movie, Diverted, the Tony Award winning Broadway musical you mentioned, and a 2018 documentary You Are Here. I've always heard of the way the Canadians came to the rescue for the 38 jetliners on that day. With all the hate in this world, it's so refreshing to hear about the unconditional kindnesses.

Trusted Contributor

@Carolina925 wrote:

Currently reading The Day the World Came to Town by Jim DeFede about the planes having to land in Gander, Newfoundland on 9/11/2001. I read the first 90 pages yesterday, so engrossed in the stories and the incredible hearts of the people of Canada who stepped in to take care of the airplane occupants when America's airspace was suspended. So many emotions, I've cried and felt my heart swell a few times over. What selfless acts these people provided to the weary and scared travelers.

I read this book a few years back and absolutely loved it! It made you feel so good about the human race after the tragedy of 911. It gave me hope. I tried to pass the book on to as many people as possible. I could be wrong but it seems to me that a person that used to post on this thread mentioned that the author of this book didn't get any credit for the story when the musical came out. I have no idea if this is true or not but I remember thinking that if it was true it seemed unfair if it was actually based on his book. I'm glad you enjoyed the book. It's a small book but powerful and a winner in my eyes.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Honored Contributor

@Carolina925 wrote:

Currently reading The Day the World Came to Town by Jim DeFede about the planes having to land in Gander, Newfoundland on 9/11/2001. I read the first 90 pages yesterday, so engrossed in the stories and the incredible hearts of the people of Canada who stepped in to take care of the airplane occupants when America's airspace was suspended. So many emotions, I've cried and felt my heart swell a few times over. What selfless acts these people provided to the weary and scared travelers.

Wasn't there another book about this same thing ONLY it was during WWll? And it told how nice and helpful the inhabitants were to the passengers. It's a foggy memory-don't remember the name of the book? I sure liked it, tho. Newfies must be old hands at this, lol.

Honored Contributor

Honey Drop Dead, by Laura Childs.  #26 of the Tea Shop Mystery.  

Murder, tea, scones and plenty of strange new shop owners in Charleston.  Along with our dapper master tea taster, Drayton and the baker of sweets and savory, Haley. 

Pop on the kettle and pour a cuppa and curl into finding out who among us is a cold blooded killer.  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

I just finished "Everything She Feared" by Rick Mofina. 

As seventeen year old Anna Shaw falls off a cliff the last thing she sees is nine year old Katie Harmon for whom she babysat. 

Circumstantial evidence shows that Anna's death may not have been an accident. Katie's mother, Sara, fears that Katie might have violent tendencies because of a dark past. 

Other characters show up in the book: a couple who committed murders, people disappearing with no evidence. A man searching for clues about his sister's murder. How is everything related? 

Mofina writes a thrilling novel which wraps everything up in the end. The book speeds along and the characters are very interesting. I got the author's name from this forum, and I'll definitely be reading some of his other works. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I found a new (to me) author and liked her so much, I just finished listening to all of her books! Her name is Robyn Harding and she writes domestic thrillers that are a little bit Lisa Jewell and a little bit Liane Moriarty. She’s Canadian and a lot of her books are set in BC.  Have you guys read any thing of hers?

I also finished listening to Lisa Jewel’s new book, “None of this is True”. If you are open to audiobooks this is a great for that. The main character has a podcast and I like how she incorporates it into the story. 

I also finished a few Mark Edwards books. I really liked “The Devil’s Work”. He is extraordinarily adept at writing women sociopaths which makes me wonder about him, but this and “Follow You Home” were both edge of your sear reading. I didn’t like his newest book, “Keep Her Secret” because it was slow and I prefer books that describe the action directly and not have characters towards the end explain what they were trying to do. 

I tried reading Ruth Ware’s newest book, “Zero Days”. I thought I would enjoy the cyber security angle but it didn’t reas well to me. 

I’m now listening to Samantha Hayes, which is another new to me author, but I’m enjoying her. Has anyone read her work?
Esteemed Contributor

I sort of finished reading The Fifth Witness by Michael Connelly. I skimmed the last quarter of the book. As I mentioned earlier I have been in a reading slump. So many different things taking my time and energy. Also, I signed back up for Netflix and I watched Season 2 of the Lincoln Lawyer, which is based of the book The fifth Witness.