Esteemed Contributor

Re: SEPTEMBER 2023 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

I have "The Wind Knows my Name" on hold . Isabel Allende is one of my favorite authors. I liked some books better than others, but she has not disappointed me yet. Even if "The Wind Knows my Name" isn't her best, I will probably still like it. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

SOMEBODY'S FOOL, Richard Russo.  This is the third book of a trilogy, one of which was made into a movie with Paul Newman.  

Respected Contributor

Today I finished The Covenant of Water by Abraham Verghese.  It is very well written, the storyline kept my attention.  I learned a lot about India that I never knew.  I learned a bit about some medical conditions.  I learned something about the evils of British Colonialism and the rise of the Communist Party in India.  The author did a good job on the ending of the story.  My one major complaint is the length of the book-my edition was 715 pages.  I just don't like long books.  I want the book to be over so I can proceed to my next book!   I would recommend it though, if a long book is a good choice for you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

I have "The Wind Knows my Name" on hold . Isabel Allende is one of my favorite authors. I liked some books better than others, but she has not disappointed me yet. Even if "The Wind Knows my Name" isn't her best, I will probably still like it. 

@teganslaw I often pull up books mentioned here on my library's website. Does this author write in Spanish? I found one book called "Ripper" narrated on CD that is in English, but the actual books aren't in English and my Spanish is limited to "hola Paco, que tel" from an eighth grade Spanish class.

Respected Contributor

@maximillian Thanks for the review.  I started this book in the summer but put it away for a winter read.  I have to be in the mood for such a book.  Unless, of course, it is a Stephen King 1000 page book.  Then I feel like I won the lottery and find time to steal away from other activities to keep reading!

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG  I read Allende's books on my Kindle, and they were all  in English.I haven't read "Ripper" . The reviews aren't very good . It seems that Allende tried to go another direction with a mystery instead of sagas. She probably should have stayed with her original writing and not do mysteries like "Ripper."

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Trusted Contributor

I'm about half way through S. Kings newest HOLLY and am really enjoying it! Another winner from Mr. King!

Frequent Contributor

I disagree.  I found the book to be fun, fast moving and well done.  I've enjoyed all of this author's books!

Respected Contributor

Just finished Heather Webb's Queens of London which comes out in Feburary 2024.   I read The Last Ship Home also and enjoyed that one too.  I love how she totally changes her genres from book to book.  Some authors do not.

Honored Contributor

Prom Mom, by Laura Lippman.  He needs a tutor and she as been quietly in love with him all through high school.  When his long time girlfriend breaks up with him Amber convinces him to take her to their senior prom. 

Prom nights in every generation lead to changing peoples lives in many different ways but this is deadly and will continue to lead toward destruction well up into their early 40's.  No one is who they seem, not Prom Mom, Cad Dad, or the compassionate supportive wife/plastic surgeon.  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."