Regular Contributor

Re: SEPTEMBER 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

Wow, did I love Taylor Jenkins Reid's latest book - Carrie Soto Is Back.  At 37, a retired tennis champion returns to reclaim her U.S. Open record number of wins.  She (again) chooses to be coached by her father.  The book is thrilling, fast-paced, and full of interesting tennis lingo.  As usual, this author throws in a few unexpected twists towards the end.  Highly recommend, especially if you enjoy the author.  She has really outdone herself this time!!!    

Respected Contributor

I adore Cork O'Connor.

But Krueger has made a few mistakes, I believe,  when not writing about Cork.

I do not like books like The Tender Land. Amazingly vapid.

Honored Contributor

@joviolin wrote:

Wow, did I love Taylor Jenkins Reid's latest book - Carrie Soto Is Back.  At 37, a retired tennis champion returns to reclaim her U.S. Open record number of wins.  She (again) chooses to be coached by her father.  The book is thrilling, fast-paced, and full of interesting tennis lingo.  As usual, this author throws in a few unexpected twists towards the end.  Highly recommend, especially if you enjoy the author.  She has really outdone herself this time!!!    

I am so glad to hear this one is better.  I was so disappointed with Malibu.  All her other books are so good.  Have two people ahead of me at the library before I can read Carrie.  Cannot wait now!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

I adore Cork O'Connor.

I would hardly call them mistakes. The Tender Land is one of my favorite books. 

Respected Contributor

I read The 6:20 Man by David Baldacci.  He's been sort of hit or miss with me lately but I really enjoyed this one. 

Respected Contributor

I also read Mouth To Mouth by Antoine Wilson.  It's sort of a morality tale with an unreliable narrator. The ending was not really a surprise to me, as it was to some readers.  I was expecting something like it, although not exactly the way it happened.  I can only muster three stars for it.       

Esteemed Contributor

I'm 100 pages into "The Lincoln Highway" by Amor Towles. I liked his other books, and this one is just  as good. 

The setting is 1954. Emmett Watson returns to his home in Nebraska after serving a year at a work farm for involuntary manslaughter. His mother has moved away, his father is dead, and the house is being foreclosed. Emmett plans to pick up his younger brother, Billy, and drive west to start a new life. 

Things change when two men from his past show up at his doorstep. They have hatched a different plan for Emmett . 

The novel is written from various viewpoints and has wonderful characterization. I feel that I know these people and what makes them the way they are.  Another winner from Towles!

BTW, I cancelled the library hold on "The House Across the Lake." After reading reviews here and on Goodreads, I decided that it wasn't worthwhile. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@insomniac2 wrote:

I adore Cork O'Connor.

I would hardly call them mistakes. The Tender Land is one of my favorite books. 

@smoky22  I liked it, too.

Respected Contributor

I just disliked how everything worked out so smoothly in The Tender Land.

Unrealistic.

Trusted Contributor

Finished Paula Brackston s book,The WITCHES DAUGHTER. I love her g"witch books". This one was another good one. Next up is SUSPECT any Scott Turow. His books are usually pretty good.