Trusted Contributor

Re: SEPTEMBER 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

[ Edited ]
@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@smoky22 wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN  I read The House Across The Lake and I agree about the ending.  It came out of nowhere and I lowered my rating because of it.   

@smoky22 , I did too!!!!!!!

@smoky22 @CANDLEQUEEN - I just read this book too, and was not happy with it at all.  In the beginning, I said, "Oh great, another heroine who drinks too much and spies on her neighbors."  But I kept reading and encountered the unusual twist near the end of the book.  That was it for me; that was just ridiculous.

Trusted Contributor

I read The Bookstore On The Beach by Brenda Novak which was actually more a story about a family than it was about a book store. I'm always drawn to books about book stores so it was a little bit of a disappointment that the store wasn't prominently featured but all in all it was a decent story that kept my interest.

I also read The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides which was a twisty book about a woman who wouldn't speak after she murdered her husband and was incarcerated at a mental institution.

Dead Creek by Victoria Houston was my next read which is part of a cozy mystery series set in Northern Wisconsin. I like this series as it mentions quite a few places that I am familiar with.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Esteemed Contributor

I just finished "The Golden Couple." by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkinen.

Marissa and Matthew Bishop are having problems in their marriage: Marissa has been unfaithful, and to help their marriage they seek out Avery Chambers, a consultant, former who lost her  therapist license due to unorthodox methods. They have  to follow a certain protocol in order to be her patients.

The book was OK. The characters did many questionable things, which didn't make much sense to me. It was an entertaining read, but nothing outstanding.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just started reading:

Esteemed Contributor

@walkingal wrote:

I have been reading To Win Her Heart by Karen Witemeyer  It is a Historial Romance set in Spencer, Texas in 1887.  The hero is a blacksmith with a dark past.  It's very good.  I love stories about blacksmiths!  

I like historical novels too. how interesting that you love stories about blacksmiths. I'm not being sarcastic. really, I didn't even know that stories about blacksmiths existed. I'm going to look for this book.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Esteemed Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN  I read The House Across The Lake and I agree about the ending.  It came out of nowhere and I lowered my rating because of it.   

I have this book on hold at the library. Wonder if I should cancel since a book with a bad ending spoils everything. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

Just finished Ann Garvin's A Good Dog.  A bittersweet novel.  This is my 2nd book by her and I love her.

Respected Contributor

@teganslaw  I've read some of your other reviews, and especially when you don't think an ending makes sense.  I think you're going to agree with a couple of us that this ending is too bizarre.   I hate to dissuade anyone from reading a book, though.  Some people on Amazon love it.  I'm pretty sure you won't love it, if that helps.      

Honored Contributor

The Favor, by Nora Murphy.   Two women around the same age, soci economic level ect...  never met but their lives are basically the same.  One day they are in the same line at a convenience/liquor store and Leah notices McKenna .  She sees herself only a few months earlier.  McKenna is wearing the same yoga outfit but her's is not as tight as Leah's, McKenna is still wearing the signs of visiting a salon but the downcast eyes and body language tell the story.  Not to mention the booze being bought.  Leah follows McKenna who is driving the very same luxury SUV as Leah just a few years older.  Leah watches her and her Dr. husband then goes home to await her attorney husband.  Both men are abusive and controlling.   Will the women come together to save themselves and how will they do it?

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beckyb1012   I really liked The Favor, especially the cat and mouse aspect between the detective and two main characters.  Plus the Strangers on a Train vibe.