Honored Contributor

Re: SEPTEMBER 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

@teganslaw wrote:

@smoky22 wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN  I read The House Across The Lake and I agree about the ending.  It came out of nowhere and I lowered my rating because of it.   

I have this book on hold at the library. Wonder if I should cancel since a book with a bad ending spoils everything. 

@teganslaw You may want to read it, my brother and sister in law read it and loved it!

Respected Contributor

Just finished The Wartime Nanny by Lizzie Page.  It was a sort of depressing WWII book but liked it.

Honored Contributor

Lady Of Bones, by Carolyn Haines.  Bk. # 24 of the series.   Sarah is with her boyfriend and sheriff of their hometown in Mississippi but they are in New Orleans looking for missing young women.  No jurisdiction and not much assistance.  Not to mention it is the days leading up to Halloween and all the black magic and voodoo that N.O. as to offer. 

Loved this series in the beginning for years but I think it is time to give Sarah's personal "haint,"  Jetty her dream, a marriage and a baby for Sarah to continue the family name.  Jetty loves conversing with all the Booth women in their familial home.

This series as run its course.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

@alliswell I'd be interested in your take on Dinners with Ruth.

Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Lady Of Bones, by Carolyn Haines.  Bk. # 24 of the series.   Sarah is with her boyfriend and sheriff of their hometown in Mississippi but they are in New Orleans looking for missing young women.  No jurisdiction and not much assistance.  Not to mention it is the days leading up to Halloween and all the black magic and voodoo that N.O. as to offer. 

Loved this series in the beginning for years but I think it is time to give Sarah's personal "haint,"  Jetty her dream, a marriage and a baby for Sarah to continue the family name.  Jetty loves conversing with all the Booth women in their familial home.

This series as run its course.

@beckyb1012 

I will give the series a try. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have just wrapped up Holy Ghost (Virgil Flowers#11) by John Sanford. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am now starting UNMISSING, by Minka Kent. I don't think I have ever read anything by her, but I remember this book getting good reviews!

Honored Contributor

The Force Of Such Beauty, by Barbara Bourland.  

This book reminds me a great deal of Princess Charlene and Prince Albert of Monaco.  The main character is an Olympic athlete whose massive injury causes her to give up her dream for competition.  Many surgeries and now a body of a woman and not the body of a runner she as to adjust to so many changes.  Including the way men look at her.  She meets her prince of a small french country where gambling is its livelihood and spying on its citizens.  Does she try to escape her locked existence to the extent of even escaping from her two small children?  Yes but does she find freedom.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

got a couple of books for my birthday. One I finished was about the JOHNSTOWN FLOOD. It turned out to be excellent tho sad at the same time. The second book,which I haven't started yet is about the American Indians in New England before the mayflower. This will interest me because I recently found out my ancestors came from a tribe there. 

Honored Contributor

Just finished Jackie and Me by Louis Bayard.Is it  a work of fiction? It was ok,but I would not reccomend it. A little wordy.a little guarded.