Respected Contributor

Re: SEPTEMBER 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

[ Edited ]

Finished Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens.

I enjoyed it but can't give it 5 stars like the majority of people.  The ending blew me away and the characters were well thought out.  I'm glad I read it since I've passed it over so many times on my bookshelf for a long time.

Respected Contributor

Alison Weir is my favorite author.  She is a historian that writes about British royalty during the middles ages and Tudor Dynasty.  Although she still writes historical non-fiction, in the recent past she has been historical fiction as well.  I just finished her series on the six wives of Henry VIII.  All are written in the first person.  I ordered the The Lady Elizabeth which is about the life of Elizabeth I before she became queen and The Marriage Game which is about Elizabeth's marriage prospects.  

Trusted Contributor

Almost done with a book titled THE THREAD. COLLECTERS. It's pretty good. About the civil wars black slave from the south and a Jewish woman whose men are fighting for the north. They are sewing maps into fabric to help the troops. 
Actually waiting till tomorrow,the 6th for S. Kings newest to download. It's over 600 pages,cat wait to start it!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm reading " The it girl" by Ruth Ware. 
It's about Oxford students and a murder. 
Insites into the minds of the friends in college and beyond. 
       📖 📚 📓

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Stephen KIng's latest book 'Fairy Tale' out tomorrow.

1#atag6.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Hi @smoky22, i've finished THE INK BLACK HEART and am giving you my opinion, as requested.  I read the hardback edition from the library, which was 1012 pages.  I think that there are parts of the book that are very good, parts that can be skimmed, and parts that can be skipped over entirely.  Just like in the previous book with all that numerology stuff, there are text message chains in this book that can be skipped over completely.  One of the characters seems to summarize them at the bottom anyway.

I skimmed over a great deal of the book.  I enjoyed the parts when Strike and Robin worked together.  The agency was working on several cases and unfortunately, IMO, the focus of the book was on the least interesting case.  Someone who is really into video games might enjoy the book more.  My final conclusion is that while I enjoyed certain parts of it, in the long run it was not worth the time invested.

A hard-nosed editor needs to sit down with Galbraith and say, "Look, all this extraneous material is unnecessary.  You need to cut out this, this, and this."  But, she is a big-name author, so I guess that won't happen.

Respected Contributor

@dawg lover   thanks for giving me that great detailed review.  I still plan to read it and I'm glad you think I can skip parts of it.  I agree, she needs to start editing better.  Each book is getting to be longer than the last one. 

Super Contributor

@kekes wrote:

OMG Run don't walk and borrow or buy BOYS LIFE by Robert McCammon  (1991).  Big book, but will change your life!

I remember reading Boy's Life about 30 years ago.  I loved it!  Thinking I need to find a copy and do some rereading!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I was able to finish up The Echo Killing by Christi Daugherty. I rated the book 2/5 on Goodreads. The book started out really strong for me, and then perhaps 1/2 way through the main character started to do really reckless and in my opinion stupid things, which always tries my patience.

I just don't understand what happened. It's like another author came in to write the second 1/2 of the book.   

Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

I was able to finish up The Echo Killing by Christi Daugherty. I rated the book 2/5 on Goodreads. The book started out really strong for me, and then perhaps 1/2 way through the main character started to do really reckless and in my opinion stupid things, which always tries my patience.

I just don't understand what happened. It's like another author came in to write the second 1/2 of the book.   

I've read I think 3 of her books. I really liked the Echo Killing which was responsible for me reading two more. I didn't notice what you did on the second half of the book. It was the third book in the series that finished me-just didn't  do it for me.