Respected Contributor

Re: SEPTEMBER 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

Linda Sal, I love Ruth Ware. I need to get her latest from the library!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@icezeus wrote:

Well, I managed to wrap up, Where the crawdads sing by Delia Owens.

I am so glad that I finally gave this book a chance and decided to read. I experience so many emotions while reading. Sorrow, anger,  awe, relief, and Joy just to name a few.

I rated the book 4/5 on Goodreads, and out of all of the books that I have read this year I would place this book as number two right behind. Finding Me by Viola Davis.

Definitely worth reading for those who might have been on the fence like myself for the last few years. 

@icezeus 

I'm finally going to try to read Where The Crawdads Sing.  Not my type of book but I'm going to jump in. 

Respected Contributor

Just finished my first book in September.  The Last Birthday Party by Gary Goldstein.  It was nice to read a book about a male who is turning 50, by a male.  A lot going on this book and I enjoyed it. 

Trusted Contributor

I've been in a reading slump lately, and really haven't loved anything that I've read.

GIRL IN BED THREE by Sarah Sheridan - a thriller about a woman who wakes up after an accident and doesn't recall how she ended up in the hospital.  Good, not great.

THE NINTH MONTH by James Patterson - stand-alone mystery about a heavily pregnant woman.  I quit after 50 pages.

PEG AND ROSE SOLVE A MURDER by Laurien Berenson - I usually love her books, but this one is the first book in a new series featuring Melanie's aunts Peg and Rose.  Very slow and draggy.  I was disappointed.

Now I am about to start Robert Galbraith's new book, THE INK BLACK HEART, which is over 1000 pages,  I do not know if I will make it to the end.  It has mixed reviews.

Next week, two books are coming out that I am looking forward to:  DESPERATION IN DEATH by J. D. Robb and A SONG OF COMFORTABLE CHAIRS by Alexander McCall Smith.  i'm sure I will like those books better.

Trusted Contributor

Hello everyone,

I haven't been here for a while.  But always enjoy reading your posts, etc.

I just finished an interesting book:  

Cover image for Normal family : on truth, love, and how I met my 35 siblings

It's a true story about a single mom, who is a lesbian, and wants to start a family.  Starts in the 1970s, where of course, she was not allowed to adopt.  She meets a handsome, young man, sitting in the chair next to her at her hair salon.  She pays him to help her out.  But he has to promise that she is the only one, unless he marries.  Well, he becomes Donor 150 at the local "bank".  Chrysta, the daughter telling the story, learns she has at least 35 other siblings.  

Much more to the story than what I've put here.  And you'll think "maybe my family isn't that bad after all!"

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Finished reading THE LOST GIRLS OF WILLOWBROOK by Ellen Marie Wiseman. Based on a true place,Willowbrook was a facility that housed people with mental or learning disabilities. Actually,it was a snake pit. I remember it being on the news in N. Y. 
The story was fiction,but very good. Not always pleasant,but well written.

sorry about the print,my I Pad is going wacky on me 😱

Respected Contributor

@dawg lover  I just read that The Ink Black Heart is over 1200 pages.  Yikes.  The last one was long too.  The reviews for reading on a kindle are terrible.  Apparently there are huge chunks of text that deal with an internet chat and the font is completely unreadable. 

I don't think you read on a kindle so I'm wondering (when you read it) if those portions could be easily skimmed and not lose that much of the plot. I'm on waitlist for it and was really looking forward to it, but not if it's going to be a chore to read. Hope you will let me know. 

I don't always keep up with this thread, so I'm not sure if you've ever mentioned Two Nights in Lisbon by Chris Pavonne.  I read it recently and really enjoyed it.  

Alexander McCall Smith is like coming back to comfort food.      

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've read about 300 pages of The Ink Black Heart so far. 

Basically, I hate it. (I adored the first five books, but this one is essentially dreary and full of needless sentences.)

I would recommend that you start reading around p. 237--that's where the real story begins (I can tell you in five sentences what happens before that, but you  may want to find that out yourself as you sludge through the couple hundred pages that open the book.)

There are numerous sections of texts by many characters here and there. Read the entire first column on every page, and then go read the next column on every page, and then. . .What you'll wind up with could easily be skipped past.

The part I'm at right now is more readable, but I have many text sections to get through. 

Start out with a bad attitude, and you'll fare better.

Respected Contributor

@insomniac2  Thanks for all that great information.

Honored Contributor

Just finished 'The Possible World' by Liese O'Halloran Schwarz.

As with her other wonderful novel - 'What Could Be Saved' - it's immersive and unique; highly recommend.

(official summary):

An astonishing, deeply moving novel about the converging lives of a young boy who witnesses a brutal murder, the doctor who tends to him, and an elderly woman guarding her long buried past.

It seems like just another night shift for Lucy, an overworked ER physician in Providence, Rhode Island, until six-year-old Ben is brought in as the sole survivor from a horrifying crime scene. He’s traumatized and wordless; everything he knows has been taken from him in an afternoon. It’s not clear what he saw, or what he remembers.

Lucy, who’s grappling with a personal upheaval of her own, feels a profound, unexpected connection to the little boy. She wants to help him…but will recovering his memory heal him, or damage him further?

Across town, Clare will soon be turning one hundred years old. She has long believed that the lifetime of secrets she’s been keeping don’t matter to anyone anymore, but a surprising encounter makes her realize that the time has come to tell her story.

As Ben, Lucy, and Clare struggle to confront the events that shattered their lives, something stronger than fate is working to bring them together.

An expertly stitched story that spans nearly a century—from the Great Depression through the Vietnam War era and into the present—The Possible World is a captivating novel about the complicated ways our pasts shape our identities, the power of maternal love, the loneliness born out of loss, and how timeless bonds can help us triumph over grief.

---